The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the Hagen Co2 System and have decided to go with my own recipe vs buying their high cost packages. I went with natural sugar, active yeast and baking soda like the recipes call for the yeast is brand new but I don't seem to get the out put of Co2 like I did from their packets. I get 3 bubbles in a burst every 2 mins. What am I doing wrong does the mixture need to be shaken with theirs I just let it sit and it was working the very next day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used water that was too warm once, and it killed most of the yeast... try using water that is cool to the touch. Also, when I used two water bottles with a gas exchange chamber and an added check valve, that helped to keep the back pressure from working against the co2.

·
Registered
574 Posts
i always add the yeast to about a 1/4 cup of WARM water with a pinch of sugar...stir this very well for at least a minute to get the oxygen in the mixture...let it "rest" for about 15 minutes, you will see if the yeast is any good before making the whole batch...the yeast mixture will start growing...then add to the final container with the sugar & water....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.