The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've been through both of those, i guess the challenge is there are only about 5 or 6 good threads that talk about building waterfalls, but i don't feel like there is enough information in those handful of threads for me to feel comfortable building mine yet.

idk maybe i should just start it already.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Might want to take a look over on dendroboard. There are quite a few people over there who build some really great paludariums and vivariums, some of which include waterfalls.

In general, a waterfall is relatively simple. How you build it depends on if you have a background/hardscape, and what you built it out of, what you plan to use to move the water, etc.

Really simple, you could just use a powerhead/fountain pump, put a bit of hose/pipe from the output of the pump in one corner, up to the level you want to be the top of the waterfall. Then just silicone a bunch of rocks around it (lava rocks work great, but others might work as well).

Or you could use greatstuff/styrofoam, carve it up to get the look you like, then coat it with epoxy/sand or something else.

You could also try getting a chunk of pumice (sold as feather rock in landscaping places), and simply cut up/carve up (be careful not to breath the dust, and wear gloves - the rock is really abrasive) to get the shape you want, and then make a hole for the pipe/tubing.

Not sure if that will help any, but if you provide a bit more info about your setup and what you'd like it to end up as, people might be able to offer some more specific advice.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Probably the 2 easiest methods for creating one pump-wise would be either a. a canister filter, with the intake in your reservoir pool and the output at the top of your waterfall or b. a simple water pump sitting in reservoir with hose outlet at top of waterfall. The effect of stream or waterfall or whatever you choose will be the part that will be up to your liking/artistic interpretation.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've been on dendro, the challeneg for me is that the ones with waterfalls don't show up in searches, and the few that do don't go into it very well. i have a hunch i'm making it more complicated than it needs to be....

my original plan was to have a small river running down the background, that would water fall off in in a pool, but i think thats more work than i should plan for myself for my first build.

my new plan is to take a reptifilter just use that for the waterfall, that way i can have a small pond and maybe keep some rcs or something in it....maybe a betta if its big enough for me to feel comfortable with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've done something similar to what you're trying to achieve.

What you'll need to do is look into using pond foam to sculpt yourself some different levels to achieve the waterfall effect.

There are many different threads on dendroboard about different materials/finishes that really change how your whole paludarium will feel.

If you have any more questions shoot me a pm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.