The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this as an experiment just to see if it’ll actually work for keeping either shrimp or snails not too sure, there’s a pump in the lower jar that pumps to the top jar which then spills over the jar and it actually looks incredible if you ask me. The water trickles down the side and drips back into the bottom jar which it’s lid i flipped upside down so the water doesn’t leak on me but is modified with a layer of garden liner and pebbles to slow down the drips and keep stuff out of the water (there’s holes I made in the lid for the drips) I want to use the Walstad method for sure it’s still a work in progress as I literally just built it today for fun and the only plants right now are the weeds I got from my back yard I plants in the gravel where the water gets filtered. I hope someone can maybe give me some advice but if I gave you inspiration to build something like this let me know cause I’m sure someone can make this better then my quick creation.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You're probably going to need to find a way to keep shrimp out of the pump (depending on where you're keeping the critters). I love the concept though. I think someone posted a video of a spillover tank here before (maybe it was just my youtube playlist, though, I'm not sure). Makes me kind of want to revert to my obsessive self. Thanks for posting your experiments!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're probably going to need to find a way to keep shrimp out of the pump (depending on where you're keeping the critters). I love the concept though. I think someone posted a video of a spillover tank here before (maybe it was just my youtube playlist, though, I'm not sure). Makes me kind of want to revert to my obsessive self. Thanks for posting your experiments!!
I was going to mention the pump as well re: shrimp. Maybe wrap it up with pre-filter sponge? I suppose if you get it cycled, have plants, and biofilm, the shrimp will be fine without additional feeding since you’d need to get under that top section. I have one 5 gal tank that at one point had like 40 neos. They were just breeding like crazy. I’m sure a lost a bunch of fry in the filter even with the in-take cover made with prefilter sponge material from aquarium co-op. They just scavaged, ate algae, etc. Just know you will need to vacuum out detritus from time to time, change water and trim plants so I hope you can disassemble the top part easily. Also shrimp need stable parameters. Neos are more about stability than the “ideal” parameters. God knows, my water is not what is suggested on paper for neos, and yet they thrive. Others types are a lot more stringent regarding the water conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts