The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, My first post since joining months ago. I purchased a 2' x 3'- 2" thick piece of cushion foam today from Walmart. I have been looking for dividers on the internet and most people say go with Swiss Tropicals filter foam. I looked up the pricing and for about the same size piece I'm looking at about 80 bucks for a similar size give or take including shipping. The piece I bought was $15.

So my questions. Has anyone used 100% urethane as a divider? Is it toxic or not worth it? Every time I google: "Urethane" foam filter online is just shows me info about polyurethane. Thank you for your time.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
If you google "urethane foam vs polyurethane" you'll actually come up with a lot of hits. This is probably all that you need though.
"Polyurethane has been tested and is found that it is not toxic to handle the products in normal conditions. Urethane is acutely toxic to smaller animals like rats and rabbits. The compound does not have any odor but a bitter taste. Some people get nausea after consuming medicines with urethane content in it. If urethane is applied on the skin or administered orally, it is reported to have caused cancer in the smaller animals."

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also, a lot of the cushion foams have various flame retardant chemicals in them. I have some of the poret foam from swiss tropicals, its good stuff, you can rinse it out pretty effectively; it should last years.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Another thing to consider is what type of cell is that foam, open or closed cell. If it is closed cell ( I think it is) you'd have a real hard time getting it down in the water. All of our aquarium type foams are open cell foam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.