The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought since my tap water sucks, and I can't afford a RO unit or buying RO or Distilled water all the time, what if I could at least filter out some of the things from my water to make it a bit softer, especially in my shrimp tanks that I use shrimp soils to lower the pH, I find the harder the water going in, the long it takes to buffer the pH down, so I took a distilled water container, cut it off the bottom so it fits into my 5gal refill jug. At the bottom is a fine filter pad, then an ammonia removing pad, carbon pad, phosphate pad, bag of peat and more fine filter floss. I am slowly dripping water into the top from my shower nozzle, at the rate of probably taking 3-4 hours to fill up a 5gal jug, so its going slow.

I wish I had a TDS meter to test if its removing anything but I figure it has to be removing something from the water. Anyways, here's a pic.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
How much water do you need for the shrimp tanks? If you want softer water I'd get neutral reg which will precipitate out minerals...it's a phosphate containing compound. And once you use neutral reg run it through your filter which has the phosban in it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
No, you're probably not doing anything. If your water contained organic contaminants or ammonia, this would take some of that out, I suppose, but most municipal supplies don't (though chloramine is a real possibility.) The peat is likely contributing something to the water, but the carbon should be pulling much of that right back out.

Unless you know exactly what is in your water and have a good background in chemistry to know how to precipitate whatever you want gone from it, adding things to your water is going to increase your TDS. Even then, it's probably going to be more expensive than buying distilled.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol. Ya i figured so. Was bored today and started playing. The other thing I just thought of though, is if I don't keep using it, the foam pads will stay wet and probably just harbor mold or bacteria.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It isn't doing anything to what you are looking for. Plus, you'll burn through this filter medium pretty quick... doing nothing.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It isn't doing anything to what you are looking for. Plus, you'll burn through this filter medium pretty quick... doing nothing.
My local Big Al's had a midnight madness sale, so I bought tonnes of the bulk pads in every kind possible, so figured I'd do something with them. I'll go back to mixing a bit of distilled water with my tap water, treat with prime, run with an airstone for 24 hours then use that instead. Its easier really. lol.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Are you thinking of relinquishing some filter pads? They're the sponge type right? Are they in blocks? or is it just a pad? I'm looking to build some sponge filters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts