The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this work? [Ebay Link Removed]

Or are there other (cheaper) methods to do a PC fan hooked up to a tank for cooling?

I can't find thermostats where you just plug an outlet in or something and it comes one room temp gets past a certain degree, like a light timer essentially, for under $10 :frown:

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oppsy! I didn't know : )

Item number: 380366302001

·
Registered
745 Posts
@$27 it seems kinda expensive for 2 fans...and the temp sensing seems unneeded

why not just get a fan and transformer (probably half the price) and hook it up to a timer? and just play with it til you get it to where you want it? tho Im curious, how hot is your tank getting? summer is almost over ya kno
to your local Radioshack!!

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping there are cheap thermostat systems where the fan would only come on when the water temp gets past 78F or something like that. I saw that on some forums awhile back, but they didn't say how they made it. Seems pretty neat since I won't need the fan running all the time or only on at certain times when the timer switch on.

In my town it looks like summers just starting. LoL. Its been pretty warm lately.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I ordered 2 of these:
Ebay search "110v aquarium thermostat" item 120774106366

They're $20 shipped. But the temperature sensor is waterproof so should work fine submerged. I also got some cheap $1.50 extension cords I'll use to make the plugs for my tank fans. And as a bonus it can also be connected to a heater. So too hot, fan comes on. Too cold, heater comes on.

I haven't gotten them yet, but it appears to be the cheapest way to do it. Crossing my fingers it works and I don't electrocute myself in the process.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a thermostat system that works like a digital timer?

Basically something that plugs into the wall and you set its "off" and "on temp". So whatever you plug into it will turn on once it passes a certain temp? That would be much easier and reduce the risk of electrocution : )

·
Banned
532 Posts
Will this work? [Ebay Link Removed]
Probably not what you would expect. There is no temperature controller for turning the fans on or off. What you are getting is just two PC cooling fans connected to a power adapter. Therefore, the fans will NOT run faster or slower to compensate for the temperature change.

Or are there other (cheaper) methods to do a PC fan hooked up to a tank for cooling?

I can't find thermostats where you just plug an outlet in or something and it comes one room temp gets past a certain degree, like a light timer essentially, for under $10 :frown:
I use the Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have found some thermostats that are designed for reptiles and such but it is not digital. There is a knob you have to work with in trial and error as to when it should come on or turn off. Kinda pesky.

Having a digital thermostat to plug your fan in beats clicking the fan on/off everyday, but I don't think anything over $20 for one is worth it for what it can do. Mind as well leave the fan on all day when its summer time and just turn it off at night : )

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered 2 of these:
Ebay search "110v aquarium thermostat" item 120774106366

They're $20 shipped. But the temperature sensor is waterproof so should work fine submerged. I also got some cheap $1.50 extension cords I'll use to make the plugs for my tank fans. And as a bonus it can also be connected to a heater. So too hot, fan comes on. Too cold, heater comes on.

I haven't gotten them yet, but it appears to be the cheapest way to do it. Crossing my fingers it works and I don't electrocute myself in the process.
I looked at your suggestion but from the picture, I don't understand how to connect the power of the adapter for the fan to it. There is no actual "plug" like a digital timer would have.

Looks like a really opened system, don't want to risk getting my bf electrocuted since he'll be taking care of this stuff. :frown:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
my tanks seem to do okay with the changing temps, about 83 mid day if my ac isnt on and around 77 early morning before the heat comes back all fish are healthy and eat like they are starving all of the time, unless your temps are going way over 85 I wouldnt worry too much, if you had coral and sensitive salt water fish that would be a problem, or even cold water species. but i assume you have tropics?

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I am not raising CRS then the heat would actually be a plus for my other shrimps, but since CRS struggle in temps 80F and above, that gets me worried : (

·
Banned
532 Posts
If I am not raising CRS then the heat would actually be a plus for my other shrimps, but since CRS struggle in temps 80F and above, that gets me worried : (
IMHO, unless you got your CRS dirt cheap, a temperature controller is well worth it.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMHO, unless you got your CRS dirt cheap, a temperature controller is well worth it.
ATM I have A-S+ grades only and actually not that many. Focusing on trying to keep them alive and hopefully breeding them is my goal first before venturing out to anything else "big". Perhaps then I would certainly think about it but for now, I can keep the temps between 68-74F with the clip on fan I have on the tank. I don't have a problem with running it 24/7 when the temp gets warm : )

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was just reading up the sink's Arduino code for lighting and I got interested in trying to learn it. First thing I thought of was this thread. It won't be cheap but heck of a lot gratifying to be able to put together a DIY temperature sensor/controller.

I think I'll put my insteon project on hold and give the Arduino a try :)

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is NOT for monitoring water temperature.
That true, but since the tank in my room, it is pretty much at room temp, this shouldn't be too far off. If anything its gonna keep it even cooler since if my room temp is 72F, my tank temp only reads around 70F, that is what I've noticed.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts