The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about how feasible it would be to use the electrical components of a fishneedit T5HO fixture to serve as the basis for a DIY hood?

I have a 75 gallon tank with the 2 tube T5HO which I don’t feel is bright enough. Recently I replaced the bulbs with Giessman daylight bulbs, thinking perhaps that would help, but I did not notice a discernible difference. In searching around, I found at least one reference to the fishneedit fixture having bulbs too close and a potentially inadequate reflector. There are also a number of recommendations for Tek T5 reflectors.

Before upgrading to the 75, I had a 29 gal planted tank with a pair of AH Supply 55watt CF lights which to my eyes was much brighter, and the plants grew better. I could obviously purchase a pair of their 54watt kits and do something with the fishneedit fixture, but then I thought it might be cheaper for me to buy a pair of the Tek reflectors, and use the electrical components from the fishneedit fixture in a DIY fixture.

I’ve built several fixtures in the past for AH supply things, and in this case I can build one for this tank. Given the tank is 18” wide, how far apart should I plan to house the bulbs?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'd go for nine inches apart, but...
The quality of the reflector will influence things. Some reflect more light than others and some reflect straighter than others. Can you temporarily clamp things in place and adjust them over the tank?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - it should be no problem to design the fixture with extra pilot holes for the reflector mounts to make adjustments easy - actually a great idea. Much easier to design into it, than retrofit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts