The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a good suggestion on how to perform a straight and even/centered cut down the length of a 4" diameter PVC pipe (5' long). My idea is to use the two halves as the domed shells for some DIY lighting. Gonna pop in a couple of AHSupply 55 watt kits. I have access to hand saws (no way I'd get it straight), Jig saws, Circular saws and even a miter saw, but no table saw or band saw (I figure those two would make it easy, so of course I don't have them). So... any creative ideas?

Thanks,
Blake

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hmmm, I take no responsibility for cuts, lost fingers or other appendages.....however...

Without a table saw this will be difficult, but, if you can mount the jigsaw in a clamp, take 2 2x4's or some cheap wood and make a channel to guige the pipe through, then, drill straight through the end of the pipe and through the wood to stop it from rolling, and insert a dowel or something.
Then move the pipe+channel guide over the saw blade.

Dunno how straight you can mount a jigsaw, but I can't think of any other way without a table saw.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your suggestion is along the same lines as I was thinking, but the added idea about the dowel pin is nice. I may try that, but I will await some more creative thinkers in the mean time.

Thanks for the response though!

Blake

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trap the pipe between two upright 2x6s, snap a line down the pipe centered between the two rails, then run the circular saw down the line riding on the 2x6 rails. Flip pipe over and repeat. Smooth cuts with a file or rasp.

I tried something similar. After about 6 months the heat from the lamps baked nice brown spots on the pipe, at which point the straightness of my cuts became a secondary consideration.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you use a circular saw make sure you use a fine tooth blade, something like a plywood blade would be good. If you don't have one take the blade off the saw and put it on backwards. I put vinyl gutters on my house and found by turning the blade around the saw moved smooth accross the gutter with no chipping.

Better Idea:

I'm not positive but I think you can buy abrasive wheels for circular saws. That would be your best bet. Less chance of the saw kicking back at you with an abrasive. wheel.

Good Luck

·
Registered
960 Posts
here is a thought on what I did once to make some gutters. I hot glued two pipes together (the hot glue popped right off afterwards). That kept them from twisting when I cut them.

Other than that, I would make some sort of rip guide since you do not have a table saw. Others may have better ideas on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts