The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have previously built a small standoff my little 8 gallon cube but now want to build one for my turtle tank.

Tank is 3 feet in length but I eventually plan on getting a 4x2 foot tank, so will be building for that size.

Questions:

1) what thickness of wood shall I use & what type

2) I plan to wrap it with furniture board to create a cabinet so shall I decrease stand by 15mm each side for allowance for that board or not

3) anyone have any plans for a stand that size already they could share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you Google for aquarium stand designs, you'll get lots of ideas.

I tend to overbuild, but you should be able to build a stand that size out of 3/4" plywood with some bracing.

I used oak for my last stand, but it was for a smaller 10 gallon set up. I've used steel in the past on a much much larger reef tank.

The picture below is of the little oak stand. The 4 corners are solid 1.5" square. The shelves the tanks sit on are 3/4" ply. The horizontal pieces are 1"x2" solid oak. I designed this one to mostly be built with pre-deminsioned lumber.

Another thing I've done is go to the pet store and take pictures of any stands you like the looks of. One thing you'll notice is most of those are made of cheap particle board.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Have previously built a small standoff my little 8 gallon cube but now want to build one for my turtle tank.

Tank is 3 feet in length but I eventually plan on getting a 4x2 foot tank, so will be building for that size.

Questions:

1) what thickness of wood shall I use & what type

2) I plan to wrap it with furniture board to create a cabinet so shall I decrease stand by 15mm each side for allowance for that board or not

3) anyone have any plans for a stand that size already they could share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Typical" 2x4 stand w/ wrapping..
https://cflas.org/2014/03/03/build-your-own-aquarium-stand/
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2572899

1 - 3 of 3 Posts