The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i need to build a stand for my 20long

problem is most of the stand plans require more tools than what i have

all i have is an electric hand drill and a miter saw i think thats what its called

so please post a link to something that can be built with these tools

2x4 and plywood is what im thinking

thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you want to use plywood you're going to have a hard time cutting it to size without at least a jigsaw (which can be purchased fairly cheap, but cut quality is proportional to price). Some big-box hardware stores will cut panels for you, however, so that would be an option if you have one of those nearby.

edit: oh yeah, hoppy's post reminded me of the skilsaw, so a jigsaw isn't your only option.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you were to buy a sturdy stand for your aquarium it would very likely cost a lot more than you will spend building one. So, take about 75% of that savings and buy a good tool or two, which you can then use to build other projects later on. That is how you build up a good workshop, at no cost to you.

About 40 years ago, a co-worker gave me that advice, and I have never forgotten it. Following that advice I, at one time, had a 16' x 24' workshop, equipped with nearly every power tool I could ever need.

If you add a "Skil Saw", one of these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16448 and a random orbit sander, you are ready to build almost anything from plywood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you add a "Skil Saw", one of these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16448 and a random orbit sander, you are ready to build almost anything from plywood.

I would add that a belt sander is a very effective tool if used in the right manner. It can solve (and cause) a lot of problems very quickly, especially if you are into the rough "2x4's and plywood" approach.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You have three fifths enough tools to build a stand for a 20L. The three missing tools are a tape measure or accurate yard stick, a screw driver and a set of band clamps to hold things in place while you glue and screw it together. Conveniently enough most $ stores carry a card of four ratcheting band clamps. The call it a luggage compressor or something like that. If you are careful in drilling and screwing things together you can omit the band clamps.

Your next tool purchase, by the way, should be a $35 - $60 name brand random orbit sander. After you do something with it that would have taken hours by hand, or been torn up by a belt sander, you won't regret the purchase. I have two now and keep 120 grit on one and 220 grit on the other. I have a belt sander but rarely use it since finally trying a random orbit sander.

The stand will be made of straight flat 1x3 or 2x4 stock which you can cut with your miter saw. Been there done that. In college I once built a whole room of furniture and cut all the wall paneling with a hand powered miter saw. (back saw) If you have a miter box so much the better. Also, you may be able to ask the lumber yard or big box store to make your cuts for you. If they charge you for cuts, make sure they cut the pieces accurately.

You will need a tube of wood glue and coarse threaded drywall type screws that are a bit shorter than two times the thickness of your chosen wood. I purchased a decent counter sink to allow me to set the heads under the wood surface. A bit of filler and the screws are out of sight.
Please read and follow the directions on the glue bottle. Glues change but guys generally don't. Reading the directions might save you a lot of time and sanding. For instance - polyurethane glues (Gorilla glue) shouldn't be applied like white or yellow wood glue.

Now search for the stick built stands and get to it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you
i just dont have bandclamps or the sander
i should get another tube of filler
used most of it when i built my pond

You have three fifths enough tools to build a stand for a 20L. The three missing tools are a tape measure or accurate yard stick, a screw driver and a set of band clamps to hold things in place while you glue and screw it together. Conveniently enough most $ stores carry a card of four ratcheting band clamps. The call it a luggage compressor or something like that. If you are careful in drilling and screwing things together you can omit the band clamps.

Your next tool purchase, by the way, should be a $35 - $60 name brand random orbit sander. After you do something with it that would have taken hours by hand, or been torn up by a belt sander, you won't regret the purchase. I have two now and keep 120 grit on one and 220 grit on the other. I have a belt sander but rarely use it since finally trying a random orbit sander.

The stand will be made of straight flat 1x3 or 2x4 stock which you can cut with your miter saw. Been there done that. In college I once built a whole room of furniture and cut all the wall paneling with a hand powered miter saw. (back saw) If you have a miter box so much the better. Also, you may be able to ask the lumber yard or big box store to make your cuts for you. If they charge you for cuts, make sure they cut the pieces accurately.

You will need a tube of wood glue and coarse threaded drywall type screws that are a bit shorter than two times the thickness of your chosen wood. I purchased a decent counter sink to allow me to set the heads under the wood surface. A bit of filler and the screws are out of sight.
Please read and follow the directions on the glue bottle. Glues change but guys generally don't. Reading the directions might save you a lot of time and sanding. For instance - polyurethane glues (Gorilla glue) shouldn't be applied like white or yellow wood glue.

Now search for the stick built stands and get to it.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
aren't 99% of all tank stands made of 2x4s and plywood?

The stand for my 120g isn't even made of 2x4s, just 1" plywood....to be fair, the weight is supported by 2 pieces of 1" plywood joined together, but no 2x4s just the same.

I've seen stands built for 120-P's made from 1"x1".

And to the OP:

A good cheap way to make a stand without a lot of tools is to build it entirely out of 2x4s, and wrap it in black fabric for appearance. You can do that with the tools you have and a staple gun.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
he doesnt think plywood is strong enough to hold my tank so he wants 2x4s across the top as well
Oh, it is strong enough, believe me. It's just much more easier to wrap a skeleton made from 2x4's with plywood than to make it using plywood alone.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
he doesnt think plywood is strong enough to hold my tank so he wants 2x4s across the top as well
You can buy a wrought iron stand for most aquariums. If you look at one of those it only supports the tank at the outer edges, not in the middle at all. And, ordinary Aqueon type tanks, with the plastic trim all around the bottom, support the tank only on that rim - nothing touches the glass in the middle. So, clearly, plywood tops on stands do nothing for the ability of the stand to hold up the tank. All of my stands up until the last one I built always had a plywood top, largely to make me feel better about how well I was treating the tank. It took years before I was willing to accept what my eyes were telling me:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea i think thats his problem
im thinking about a plywood top so that i can put other size tanks on it
i just need a strong frame

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you are putting tanks smaller than the top of the stand on the stand, the plywood top needs more support than just around the edges. The plywood will gradually be dished in a bit by the weight of the smaller tanks not being over the vertical parts of the stand. For that I would put a couple of 2 x 4's running from front to back between the front back 2 x 4's. Then the plywood is supported in the middle too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.