The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 30 gal long glass tank that is about 20 years old and the silicone looks ragged in spots . I figure it about due for a reseal , but I can get a new 40 gal Acrylic tank for a good price . I would rather go with the acrylic . I have a 75 acrylic and I love it . A new tank would be less hassle than resealing the 30 and I would have to redo everything either way . My question is the stand for the 30 has 36 x 12.5 top footprint . The new tank is 36 x 15 . I am thinking I can take a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut it to fit the new tank , say 38 x 16 and put it on top of the stand and a piece of foam board on that , then the tank . That would be just an inch over on each end and 1.75 inches on the sides . The bulk of the weight would be over the stand's footprint . I know the 40 will be heavier , but I figure the difference between the glass and acrylic weight will just about equal out with the extra water . I have built stands from scratch , but really don't want to on this project . In my mind it will be fine , but I wanted to see if anyone has some first hand experience for anything similar . TIA .

·
Registered
427 Posts
Glass tanks are generallly only supported by the perimiter. Acrylic tanks are generally supported across the entire bottom of the tank.
I would have some concern if you wanted to do what you suggest for a glass tank since none of the perimiter would be directly supported by the stand walls. I think it will be fine for an acrylic tank. I would have no problems doing what you suggest for an acrylic tank.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys ,
After sleeping on I am just going to build a stand for the 40 . I don't like putting a wider tank on a more narrow stand even with the larger plywood top . I am like minorhero when it comes to over building to err on the side of safety .

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some material shopping online last night and what a shock . I hadn't looked at the cost of wood since before the pandemic . It has gone through the roof , so my question now is would 2 x 3's work as well as 2 x 4's on a stand that has a footprint of 38 x 17 and is 34 inches tall ? I think it will be fine , just wanted to see what you guys thought . Thanks .

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did some material shopping online last night and what a shock . I hadn't looked at the cost of wood since before the pandemic . It has gone through the roof , so my question now is would 2 x 3's work as well as 2 x 4's on a stand that has a footprint of 38 x 17 and is 34 inches tall ? I think it will be fine , just wanted to see what you guys thought . Thanks .
Are 2x4"s really that expensive? Properly designed you could build a sturdy stand out of 1x2"s... but I like to stick with the 2x4 and larger approach myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts