The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Wow I have no idea but the finished product looks really, really good!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It looks like that product is specially manufactured for display stand assembly. That suggests that a business that provides such display stands would sell the product. I know that isn't very helpful, but it offers a clue about where to look in google.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you find these in the states, please report back. I have been actively searching for those types of rails/racks.

I like the way the look and the ease of putting together was well as the strength behind them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That stuff looks quite a bit like the extrusions commercial glasiers use. Like in large store fronts. Aside from seeing something similar during construction of a mall near here, I dont have any experience. It wouldn't hurt to ask a few commercial glass installers.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You guys are awesome. I must have used at least 30 different keywords in Google to try and find that it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You guys are evil. I didn't need to see this. Not now.

Love the system but it has to be pricey, but aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Goto tslots.com, download their software. The software is actually an "add in" to another software, then you can build your own stands using all the different parts and stuff.

When your done, it will put all the parts needed into a parts list that will be needed with prices as well!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ok, I finally got the software installed into solid works.

The nice thing about the software, it will give you a BOM (bill of material)

You do NOT want to know what it costs. It is not cheap! The base frame starts at $150.00US This is basically a sqaure frame using the measurements of 6feet tall, 15 inch depth and 8 feet wide.

No support beams, no connectors, no nothing, just a square. I'll be sticking to 2x6 boards!! :icon_lol:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Alright, curiosity got the best of me.

I created a rather flimsy stand just to get a basic idea of what it would cost.

I was quite surprised, it's really not that bad, compared to what you would have to pay someone to build you something like this.

What I am trying to accomplish, so you can better understand the pic.

There will be 4 10 gallon tanks on the top
There will be 2 55 gallon tanks on the middle
There will be 2 20 gallon tanks on the bottom (20 gallon longs)

Now I got extremely tired while doing this, the center braces are missing. There are NO support brackets that holds all the stuff together. All it is are pieces of metal and thats it. The dimensions of this are:

Length = 8 foot 1 inch
Width = 20 inches
Height = 5 foot 4 inches

The pic is rather large, and shrinking it down you are not able to see the design, so I am just gonna link it to my web server.

You will notice, that there is several numbers of importance shown. 1 is price! the other is weight!

http://khandurian.dvrdns.org/pics/plantedtank/stand.jpg

The pic is only 160k, so it's not devastating to view it! Although with as many of you that are on here, it may slow down.

I can only work precision for so long before my crippling arthritis kicks in. I will add in the supports sometime tomorrow and update with a new pic that shows the BOM and weight.

One thing I noticed while working with this, it's all cut/machined to order. I was unable to find any "precut" sizes.

Fasteners - This will kill you. All the fasteners range from $3 to $10 depending on the beefiness! As you can see by the pic, it will require a CRAP LOAD of fasteners!

What ya think?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like the solution and the fact the system adds the machining for you...
It's going to be heavy and pricey at the end. After the structural parts are complete some simple raw materials and creativity you can set up all the ancillary brackets.

Main issue I'd be concerned about is leveling the system. On any floor there will be a need to adjust. Unless there is a need to stay within the 8' 1" over all width I'd add a support column in the middle. Then with this additional structural support you could have 6 leveling feet added to each vertical support. I ask about the max width cause if you add vertical support at minimum to the lower section it will have to get wider to accommodate 4' tanks.

8' is a wide span unless your using some of those doubled up monster sections. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ya, working on precision stuff like cad is really tough on my arthritis. I will add the middle supports to divide the 2 55 tanks in the middle rack tonight.

I thought about the problem of leveling while I was designing it. The particular area that I would be putting this at, is already level for the part that I have. I found this out, because at current moment, it has an 8 foot dresser there! I put a level on every inch of the dresser and it is level throughout.

They do have leveling feet if you so desire. I just did not add them in as I "hope!" they wont be needed.

I knew there was something I forgot to check, and that was the actual width of the post. I will have to check that and make the adjustments to the lengths to have middle brackets going all the way up.

I'm having fun with it. Learning the program. Not something I would want to do for a living, but it's fun. Plus it gives me ideas for other designs as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts