The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a diy sponge filter and was wondering if i did it right. I just took a piece of tubing and a mesh type sponge. I made a small hole in the sponge and put the tube inside. I put an airstone inside the tube about halfway down and that was it. Is there anything that i need to do? here are some pics:

by the way, the airstone fits perfectly into the tube.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw..what is this?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the tube is hollow...could I use that as part of a DIY sponge filter?

HOw does my sponge filter look?

·
Registered
711 Posts
What you got in the first pic looks better ,is anything collecting on the sponge? if yes then it is working properly.
I would not use an airstone .

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Aren't most sponge filters, that we would use on a planted tank, installed on the suction tube for another filter, such as a canister filter? I used to use one on the suction tube for a powerhead, using that for both filtration and to add water circulation to the tank.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think it's half and half Hoppy. A lot of sponge filters, especially ones intended for shrimp i believe, do work on the air pump method for it's cheapness yet effectiveness. the sponge filters put on power heads usually have some kinda shell around it where as the air pump sponge is just a sponge with a tube/pipe in the center.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you got in the first pic looks better ,is anything collecting on the sponge? if yes then it is working properly.
I would not use an airstone .
yes stuff is collecting.

by not using an airstone your saying to just put the airline tubing down into the sponge with no airstone?

·
Registered
711 Posts
yes stuff is collecting.

by not using an airstone your saying to just put the airline tubing down into the sponge with no airstone?
Yes.I'm thinking the bigger the bubbles the stronger the suction,and since the airstone makes much smaller bubbles,try without it and see if the you see a visible difference.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so anyone else know what the thing is in the second pic?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes.I'm thinking the bigger the bubbles the stronger the suction,and since the airstone makes much smaller bubbles,try without it and see if the you see a visible difference.
I took the airstone off and its working alot better!! Thank you! BTW, where can you get sponges with small pores like the ones that people use for DIY sponge filters? Someone said a craft store would have them but i dont know what section to look in. Its almost like the sponge thats are on the end of those sponge paint brushes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Most of these type of filters they plug the bottom of the tube and drill a bunch of small holes in the part of the tube that fits in the sponge. That way the water gets drawn through a greater area of sponge. I would also try a bit larger sponge. This will give you a lot more surface area for bacteria to colonize and make the filter much more powerful biologically.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yea... I would recomend sponges that are from a fish store.

I tried a good looking chemical free sponge from a hardware store once... seemed to be working fine, but then when I went to move it, it all squished into a disolved mush... luckily I got it out of the tank right as it disolved into a bucket... but I sure won't be doing that again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts