The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm in the pre-stage of planning my new tank.

I want to build a tank with these specs;

Length: 130cm/51.2inches
Width: 60cm/26.6inches
height: 50cm/19.7inches

what glass thickness should I go for?

10mm/0.4Inches?
12mm/0.5inches

more? less?

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
for a 100 gallon tank, i would just buy a manufactured rimless ADA tank. Its gonna be costly, but it comes with a 5 year guarantee. It might be cheaper to make one yourself, but if it breaks, you are screwed with no one to blame but yourself, and no way to get reimbursed.

im sure of the many who have tried to make thier own rimless tanks, few tanks have really lived up to the builders expectations. And my guess is, the larger the tank built, the less likely it will work due to weight, and design shortcomings.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ADA isn't an option.
I have a friend who will build the tank, I just need to get the right glass thickness.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
there are lots of tables and guides readily available online about how thick glass should be depending upon the volume of water used.
here is a link....
About.com: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/glassthickness.0.html

but if your friend is gonna make it, why not ask him? has he ever built a rimless tank before? if not, id be hesitant to ask him to do so.

but why not just find a 100gallon with similar dimensions, and look what thickness of glass was used in that case? and if you are really worried, just make it thicker.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Scolly's Kahuna build is not exactly 100g but has lot's of references to this type of planning...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curare, the tank specs are in pot #1.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would go 12mm, but to be on the safe side and if it was me I would go 15mm.

I'm in the preplanning stage of building my own rimless tank similar in size only 45cm in height and I will be going with 15mm.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pictures.-....mmmmm...

Looking forward to seeing 'em.
I've looked through Scolley's thread, and from what I could tell, he went with ½ inch thickness.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looks like?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would go 12mm, but to be on the safe side and if it was me I would go 15mm.

I'm in the preplanning stage of building my own rimless tank similar in size only 45cm in height and I will be going with 15mm.
I agree,

130 x 60 is a large area of unsuported glass. even with bracing I'd be saying go for 12mm.

Without bracing I'd be looking at 16mm
(glass sizes usually work as follows 2-4-6-8-10-12-16-19-25, at least glass manufacturers here)

If you're going to have it up against a wall you can do the back and bottom portions in ordinary float glass, with the front and sides out of starphire. It'll save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I believe that tank collapsed and water went everywhere. Very very sad.
The reason it did is known though. Using the proper sealant would have prevented this from happening.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.