The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while. I'm considering trying my first DIY rimless tank build. I wanna make a tank approx 24"L x 10"W x 7" t, maybe 8" tall.

Question is this, how thick would the glass need to be and not bow?

I'm not familiar with the standard thicknesses glass comes in cept 1/8th which is too thin I'm sure, and then the way thicker stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Orlando

·
Registered
205 Posts
According to this aquarium glass calculator 1/8" glass would give you a very high saftey factor of atleast 7 if you go 8 inches high. Commercial tanks are built to a saftey rating of around 3 - 4. You have to convert everything to metric, but there's a convenient calculator right on the web site.

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

The height of the tank has the largest bearing on how thick the glass needs to be. You can buy glass in 1/16 inch increments. 3/16 and 1/4 inch glass isn't very expensive and would give you an incredibly safe tank. I believe the plate glass sold at Lowes is 1/8" and very cheap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I highly suggest getting your glass cut at a local glass shop. They are reasonably priced, cut exactly what you want, and the best part, they finish the edges after they are done. that is big, not sharp edges to cut yourself on.

I made a 24x24x20 rimless cube and had a glass shop do it for me. The glass is 3/8 I believe cost me about $175 for the 5 panels. I have lowes cut glass in my sump (bubble trap) and I cut myself on it all the time... grrrrrr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts