The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got some Tiger shrimp on the way, and wanted to remove all other shrimp from the tank that will soon be theirs. I thought I'd try trapping them using a modification on the fish trap idea. The basic idea is create an entrance, place food inside, and make it hard to escape. It works!

Tools & Materials needed:
Gatorade Bottle
Serrated kitchen Knife or comparable
Shrimp food

Assembly:
Drink Gatorade.
Wash.
Wash again.
And again.
Cut the bottle at the area it restricts.
Careful with that knife.
Poke a hole in the lid that a shrimp can fit through.
Put some shrimp food in the bottom.
Invert top portion and force through restriction on top of bottom portion.
Place in tank.
Come back in a few hours.

Here's a pic. Note the fissidens 'bridge' so they can find the entrance easier:

Here is the result of ~4 hours o' shrimpin'

There are still a dozen or so, but I reset the trap and most are now in. I figure that after a few days of resetting trap and harvesting, a tank can be rid of shrimp for moving/selling or just getting rid of them without using chemicals.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it on it's side; the shrimp weren't getting friction on the plastic. With it vertical, they are attracted by smell of food and sort of fall down in, sort of like those donation accepter-things that you put coins in and watch them spiral down...they try and esape, put end up in the top corners. They aren't, after all, very smart creatures. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope; I've got some pretty cool crosses in there, orange, red-lined, etc. mutts for sure. I've got some pure cherries in another tank.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had my shrimp trap right in the current. I didn't have any problems. I left it in the tank w/>100 shrimp. No deaths (thank GOD).

Hollywood, I do have a trap for snails. It is the mouth of my dwarf puffer, "Chiquito." I just leave that trap in the tank all the time and don't have snail problems. Snails are guaranteed to die if left inside overnight.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I would think the DP would enjoy being with your colony...... if you get my meaning.
Dwarf puffers are extremely small molluscivores and shrimp aren't mollusks... I've never seen my DP eat a shrimp, and he physically couldn't eat a medium to large adult. He/she may have gotten a juvie here and there for all I know, but it hasn't stopped my cherries and minamis from spreading like the plague...of course your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
what about cutting out panels in the sides and hot glueing stainless steel screen over them, being sure to cover all the sharp ends iwth glue. It should allow great water flow, but the shrimps wouldn't be able to go through, or better yet plastic cheap screen, you could even get a mesh large enough to let the shrimplets go through but the older adults not... heh
I see no reason that wouldn't work. Sounds like a lot of work to me though.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The one thing I'm interested in your opinion about is the bottle's grooves.
-Andrew
The gatorade bottle is unique because the groove helps the top 'snap' into place sealing the trap. You'd have to do something to keep the top of a smooth bottle in place and sealed. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do that temporarily. You could silicone it or something I guess, but that makes it more complicated, like the suggested screen and glue gun, etc.

I always ended up with just as many ramshorn and MTS in the trap as shrimp. Many times I'd have more snails than shrimp.
I don't have snails (per "chiquito" my puffer), so I'll take your word for it.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'll try that out with smooth bottles to see how it works, Andrew. That sucks about some shrimp dying. I haven't had that problem, I might have just gotten lucky with where I made my cut, as no shrimp of mine get trapped.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Did you see any enter the trap?

If not:
1). Incentive isn't working - their is enough food in the tank or they don't want or smell the algae wafer badly enough. Hakari crab bites got mine instantly flocking.

If so:
2). They are escaping. Check for leaks along the seam or consider adding the hole-poked bottle cap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts