The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got some Tiger shrimp on the way, and wanted to remove all other shrimp from the tank that will soon be theirs. I thought I'd try trapping them using a modification on the fish trap idea. The basic idea is create an entrance, place food inside, and make it hard to escape. It works!

Tools & Materials needed:
Gatorade Bottle
Serrated kitchen Knife or comparable
Shrimp food

Assembly:
Drink Gatorade.
Wash.
Wash again.
And again.
Cut the bottle at the area it restricts.
Careful with that knife.
Poke a hole in the lid that a shrimp can fit through.
Put some shrimp food in the bottom.
Invert top portion and force through restriction on top of bottom portion.
Place in tank.
Come back in a few hours.

Here's a pic. Note the fissidens 'bridge' so they can find the entrance easier:

Here is the result of ~4 hours o' shrimpin'

There are still a dozen or so, but I reset the trap and most are now in. I figure that after a few days of resetting trap and harvesting, a tank can be rid of shrimp for moving/selling or just getting rid of them without using chemicals.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
It's good to know it works on shrimp too.

I've used it before for fish, but I layed it on it's side. I would have guessed the shrimp could climb out. I suppose not. :D

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it on it's side; the shrimp weren't getting friction on the plastic. With it vertical, they are attracted by smell of food and sort of fall down in, sort of like those donation accepter-things that you put coins in and watch them spiral down...they try and esape, put end up in the top corners. They aren't, after all, very smart creatures. ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
I was faced with this situation last week!

you could have saved me so much time instead using the net method!!! :icon_redf

thanks for the tip, I'll remember it for next time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
be careful not to leave it alone for too long. I left mine overnight and 95% of them died. (probably too much food, and no water circulation)

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope; I've got some pretty cool crosses in there, orange, red-lined, etc. mutts for sure. I've got some pure cherries in another tank.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I will have to remember that... so much easier than the net and won't mess up the tank chasing them around! Way to be ingenious!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Keep the lid on, duh. Last week I laid a trap (sans lid), just to come downstairs 15 minutes later to find all of my crackhead rummynose (12) crammed into a 16 oz. water bottle. Smaller hole, less crackheads. got it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
it works just like every crab/lobster pot I've ever seen, just made out of plastic instead of wire mesh.

Good DIY!

Tommy

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd always used Mt. Dew bottles, but then I don't drink gatorade, lol.

I would just poke small holes throughout the body of the bottle. I've also killed 20-30 shrimp by forgetting the thing overnight. Stagnant water inside the thing just doesn't carry enough oxygen I don't think. The holes seemed to alleviate that problem but you still wouldn't want to go shrimping with it for more than a couple hours.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts