The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never made my own Root tabs can use some help in what ferts to get. any one with exp... please help me out. I have been researching it, But their are so many different opinions. could use the advise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Never made my own Root tabs can use some help in what ferts to get. any one with exp... please help me out. I have been researching it, But their are so many different opinions. could use the advise.
Most people go for osmocote plus in their root tabs. It's a complete fertilizer that has all of the essential macro (NPK) and micro nutrients your plants will need! Just buy some cheap gel capsules on amazon or ebay and fill them with the osmocote plus and you're good to go!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I kept reading about Osmocote but I also read that it isn't enough and to add Maricle gro tomato fruit and veg. mix in as a 50/50 mix. to help with the micro nutrients. these root tabs will be for Sword plants in my amazon tank.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Why not just buy dry ferts and assure that every plant in your tank has nutrients. If you have low-tech, low-light you could probably dose once a week.

There is nothing to the idea that so-called "heavy root' feeders need ferts embedded in the substrate. I've grown swords, crypts, hairgrass, etc all in inert substrates with only water column dosing without any deficiencies.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my tank is 240 gallons with a total of 300g with sump plus i am running a constant drip system. the tank isn't heavily planted just a few swords. and all so Dry dosing would really not be feasible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts