The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start making gel capsule style root tabs for my tank before I rescape it in about a week; however, most of the recipes I found called for large amounts of, or exclusively for Osmocote Plus. Recently O+ has been discontinued. I'm looking for suggestions for a fertilizer that would work just as good, or better. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
Mix up dry ferts with clay. You can use dry clay to mix with them or you can use wet clay to make your own clay fert balls. You could even put the wet (maleable, not really 'wet') clay mixture into gelcaps if you wanted.

You'll likely get more mileage out of buying dry ferts and mixing them up with clay than you would with Osmocote Plus.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got a whole thing of O+ from an online site called discount hydroponics. It was $22 shipped to my door, and I had it in 3 days. Hope it helps.

If not, there are lots or very good dry fert mixes, and even step by step direction everywhere. Youtube is a good place to look for them. Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! I considered the clay method already but from all of the reports I've read it's quite messy and my mom would kill me if I destroyed her kitchen with a clay bomb :)

Punkndestroy, thanks for looking, I'm intrigued to see what you find.

Kdv, I"ll check that store out. As for dry mixes do you mean something like Osmocote vegetable or something more along the lines of Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Chloride?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you have a Meijer nearby, it may be worth checking there. The ones around me still regularly stock osmocote plus for $15 or so. Just be aware that some substrates (eco-complete being one) push the osmocote pellets out to float up where fish can eat them. I haven't heard bad things about fish eating dry ferts, but there does seem to be problems with osmocote and fish eating them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like the place I got mine from sold out all they had. If you choose too, places like greenhouse megastore still have it in 50# bags for $140, but I would only recommend that as a group buy sort of thing. There is NO WAY someone could use 50# of the stuff!

Yes, I was talking clay bombs. Yeah, parents don't like messes, so I would not recommend making your mom mad. We, moms, really like clean kitchens! :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually happen to have a Meijer about a minute away from my house so I will definitely check there when I get some time. Hopefully they still have some left. If not, I'll look around to see what other slow release fertilizers they have. What would be a good micronutrient composition to look for?

·
Registered
339 Posts
My local Home Depot still has an abundance of Osmocote. If you'd like I can run and pick one up for you and have it shipped. Let me know.

Thanks for the help! I considered the clay method already but from all of the reports I've read it's quite messy and my mom would kill me if I destroyed her kitchen with a clay bomb :)

Punkndestroy, thanks for looking, I'm intrigued to see what you find.

Kdv, I"ll check that store out. As for dry mixes do you mean something like Osmocote vegetable or something more along the lines of Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Chloride?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I'm impressed you actually found some osmocote plus! How much is the osmocote and how much would shipping be?

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
I've seen Osmocote plus 3-4 mos release and 8-9 mos release. What is the difference and which one is better?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I figured as much. I can't remember the types of nitrogen that they use in fertilizer, but one is the instant release which is immediately usable by plants. the other has to be converted by the plants into a readily usable type.

I bump into one web site and you are right. It was designed when the growth is later.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
I wanted to start making gel capsule style root tabs for my tank before I rescape it in about a week; however, most of the recipes I found called for large amounts of, or exclusively for Osmocote Plus. Recently O+ has been discontinued. I'm looking for suggestions for a fertilizer that would work just as good, or better. Thanks.
I chat with Scotts agent the other day. He told me that Osmocote Plus is discontinued starting 2013.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I chat with Scotts agent the other day. He told me that Osmocote Plus is discontinued starting 2013.
This is true, I believe I read somewhere that it was discontinued in February. However, I still seem to be having problem finding the stuff. On the bright side, Punkndestroy seems to have come through for me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts