The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the things that really annoys me about riparium planters is the suction cups - they inevitably lose suction dropping the planter into the tank and spilling the contents everywhere. So I came up with a cheap alternative that seems like it will work pretty well in my setup. Note that in my aquarium the riparium planters are hanging on my coast-to-coast overflow so I want the top of the planters to be right at the top edge of the glass, which may be a little different from a more conventional setup.

I started with a bunch of stainless steel cotter pins. I used 1/8" x 1.5" pins.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=635289&thumb=1

Used a pair of pliers to bend them into an "S" shape. I used a piece of 1/4" plywood as a template for the back bend to make sure it was wide enough to fit on my 1/4" glass overflow.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=635297&thumb=1

Even though the pins are stainless steel I thought I'd add an extra measure of waterproofing by dipping them in plastidip. Figured this would also soften any sharp edges and protect the glass.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=635305&thumb=1

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=635313&thumb=1
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
BOY! Am I with ya on the suction cup thing!

I just put together a little Riparium and the cups that came with the caddy were silghtly deformed and wouldn't work right out of the package.

I scrounged through my assortment of surplus parts and found some from an old powerhead that fit in the openings perfectly!

But they just..........sucked.

Yours is an easy and cheap DIY for sure. Another variant could be aluminum wire. It comes in a few different gauges. It's usually in the section where chain and coated wire cable are (I spend WAY too much time in the box stores, lol!)

When those suction cups failed, it got the wheels churning. When time permits, I'm gonna take a shot at bending a piece of scrap acrylic to form a hook and crazy gluing it to the back of a caddy. Moving the fish room to the opposite corner of the basement doesn't leave me with much free time right now though, so a couple of hooks just like this will do just fine for now.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top