The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully built & covered their own reflectors? Specifically for a t-8 ODNO? I have done searches here and on google, but I can't find any specifics. I did get as far as GulfCoast mentioning that he was going to design his own, but nothing past that.

I know that AH supply has great reflectors for sale, but the budget for my DIY tank is running low. I am also looking for an efficient design so I can get the most out of the bulbs I will be driving.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, due to a lack of info on the interweb, I am attempting my own design. Critical input would be appreciated :icon_idea
I just have to attach my schematic somehow...

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Use the search function. Several people have designed thier own reflectors here. Try Searching in the DIY or Lighting section. There's plans and everthing.

Marcel

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marcell, I looked but came up empty. What search words should I try?

·
Are these real?
15,696 Posts
Try this: click on "Search", and type

reflector T8*

Enter

that should get you started.

I have wondered the same thing many times (how to get cheap but good T8 reflectors) and went in circles...

Someone mentioned recently that he polishes and bends aluminum. A while ago Gomer (I think) made his own reflector along with some schematics.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are awesome, thanks!

In the meanwhile, I came up with this design:

The right angle shape at the top of the parabola will also be a reflector and should eliminate re-strike. Think it might work?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 'Aquariance' site was gold. Looks like I have re-invented the wheel. Based on that example, I will go with my above design.

Thanks for the links :icon_bigg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here is my cutout template. I think 50 profiles should do me :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that is what the famous AH reflector looks like. Wish I could afford a few.

We just came back from visiting some freinds near Ottawa. This freind owns a laser cutter and was happy to cut out a 20" X 30" sheet of 3 ply baltic birch (about 3/32") out of which we cut 50 pcs. Here is a pic of three cutouts:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is an idea of how I would use the wood cutouts to form a parabolic reflector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts