The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using this co2 setup on a 20oz. paintball canister for about 4 months, and finally had to get a refill. When I reattached the canister and turned it back on, it started leaking a lot and the canister frosted over. It seemed to be leaking from the ASA on/off valve itself (couldn't tell if it was from where it screwed onto the canister or from the on/off knob), not the connections to the gauge or needle valve. What could be the problem? An overfilled canister? Bad o-ring?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't over-tighten the CO2 cylinder when you go to re-mount it. Hand-tight, maybe a light tweak with some channel-lock pliers, but no tighter or you'll crush the soft goods (O-ring). I work on submarines and we ALWAYS replace the soft goods on them, so you should do the same :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only ever hand-tightened the cylinder, but that's certainly good to know! I get my co2 refilled at Sports Authority, so they'll probably have o-rings, then. I can get some cheaper ones online for later. Are any particular types/brands known to be better or worse for aquarium applications?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, crap. It's not the o-ring. Put a new one on, and as soon as the pin is depressed, gas starts leaking badly. I did manage to figure out that it's leaking from underneath the on/off knob. Ideas on how to fix it? I just need this to last another month or so; planning on using my first paycheck from my new job to get a real regulator.

For reference, 'bay #281274874540 is the ASA adapter I have.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'd did the ASA Valve and step up to a better and real regulator. GLA are pricey but the customer service and warranty is great from what I hear. I have an AquaTek mini paintball and the solenoid burned out after about 4 months, so did their customer service. I recently bought a new solenoid from them, so far so good.

I used to have the ASA set up but experienced a leak from inside it somewhere, it seemed there is a machined hole inside of it that was the cause. I tossed it and bought the AquaTek.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.