The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Hoping for some advice from you guys to help save my new plants :/

SO....for months now I've been working on a DIY "mountain" for my 20g high tank. I've had this tank going since last June, when I first set it up with 3 Gold barbs, 3 Cherry barbs, 2 Otos, and an African Dwarf Frog. I had a substrate of regular fish tank gravel at first, but after about a month I started planting the tank, so I added a layer of Seachem Flourite. I had a pretty good number of plants that were doing great with weekly liquid ferts (the one by API), the Finnex Fugeray LED, and the Fluval mini CO2. Then blue green algae struck. I tried for two months to get rid of it but it was a losing battle. Even worse, my plants started dying off from my efforts (especially when I tried a dilute peroxide bath--everything but my anubis melted). I decided I was going to just break down the whole tank, and started researching aquascaping techniques.

I ended up building a "rocky" mountain out of a styrofoam and PVC pipe skeleton, which I covered in Great Stuff and then coated in Drylock. This was back in December. Finally last week I decided it was time to go ahead and put it together. I zip-tied the mountain to an egg crate, put the whole thing in the empty tank (my fish are all in a temporary 10 gal), covered the whole thing in several inches of Flourite, and started planting. I decided to go all-in, so that I wouldn't be trying to add new plants after the fish and equipment were back in. I have carpet plants, mid-grounds, bunches of stems, dwarf anubias, crypts, mosses--I can give specifics later but I'm in a hurry at the moment...

So you can probably guess what happened next. Yes, after hours of pruning, cleaning plants, and getting them all in the tank just so, I covered it all with Kraft paper and plastic wrap and started filling. Got it about 2/3 full and then I heard a creaking sound and the whole shebang started lifting up. All of the substrate fell under the egg crate and plants were dislodged and all over the place :(

Like I said, I will try to get more specific later, but right now my main questions are these: in order to keep these plants alive while I fix my DIY fail I'm trying to get a temporary plan in place. Right now I've got some of the plants in substrate in buckets, a 2 gal tank, and small containers. I was going to keep them all in a big rubbermaid container, with the Fugeray light over them. So...
1. Should I put a heater in with them? My room temp is around 68F
2. Should I have a filter in with them? There's no fish but I know I need to agitate the water. I have air stones I can use
3. I'm going to be using the API liquid fert (it's called Leaf something) and root tabs...will the small plants that are currently floating in the bucket without substrate be ok like that for a few days? or do I need to plant everything?
4. I also have some liquid CO2--should I be using that right now? I don't want to use the mini tank but thought maybe I should at least do the liquid, I know it's not all that great but it's something at least, right?

Ok, I know I will have more questions later but this is a start...THANKS in advance for any advice!!

Amy

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would think the root tabs and the Leaf Zone is too much fertilizer, and could harm your plants. Personally, I think root tabs are a bad idea. Just the Leaf Zone should work fine. A lower temperature may slow growth, so less fertilizer makes sense. Keep an eye out, and if your plants look 'wilty' in the colder water, you can warm them up a bit. But I think 68 temporarily will be fine. Honestly, I wouldn't fertilize them at all while you restructure the tank, assuming it will only be a week or so, since they already have ferts in the soil. Lowered light would keep them from needing so much fertilizer too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I didn't actually put any root tabs in yet, so I won't do that. I did pick up a small heater today--I figure it's not a bad idea to have an extra on hand for things like this anyway. So far, so good...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.