The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I was looking into doing some DIY metal Filter Pipes (similar to these), and I was wondering if anyone had any experience? I have a friend that works at a certain large home improvement store that's helping me gather the parts and connectors needed to make these.

First: Let me explain why I think these are fantastic for aquariums, particularly for aquascaped tanks:
  • They're stronger than glass, so you don't have to worry about cracking or shattering the pipes
  • They're not clear, so you can't see the growth that eventually appears on the inside of any tubing
  • They look awesome in most tanks
  • They're much cheaper than glass pipes

Plus, I simply like the metal, minimal look that they provide:

I have the materials and tools to cut the intake slices into these tubes, and I've done work with metal before.

So, my question is this: Would anyone be interested in these, if I made some for you guys? I'd also greatly appreciate any input on connectors, lengths, and any other customizations that would be useful to you!

I've also searched around the web, and haven't found much about metal tubing, besides the one I linked earlier. Does anyone have any other links to references?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd definitely be interested in these depending on price. I've been looking for some of these but the only ones I've found are quite pricey. As for lengths, I would think most people would want "full length" pipes so the length outside of the tank could maybe match up to most common aquarium heights.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I love the look of the tank and admire your metal work and ability. I lack the skill and experience to do the job. But with that said, I should warn you a bit.
On mention of using stainless steel screws to hold driftwood, we often find a lot of paranoid thinking in the group. Since your fish seem still alive, I tend to think it is not a problem as you do seem to have quite a good grasp of the basics of fish and plant keeping.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Years back if you mentioned that you had ANY metal in your tank it would produce looks that resemble what a person might have on their face were they to run into
a small animal on the road. Now days they have backed off on that as it pertains to Stainless Steel. Only long term use will prove one way or another if it's a good idea.
This is provided that what I'm looking at is solid SS steel and not chrome plated brass.
With no light on the inside it will not produce any algae there either. You can expect some mineral build up but not that would interfere/w flow for years.
My only real concern is that you at least duplicate the number and width of the slots
given that they will clog somewhat. The life of a pump motor is exactly relavent to
restrictions in the line.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have a steel outlet pipe that I got from a member here when he was still making them. I love it. It looks so clean in the tank, I never worry about working around it, and it never accumulates anything even on the outside of the pipe.

If you price it right, you'd probably sell alot of these.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wish list: steel spray bar that matches finish with the stainless surface skimming pipes you see on the bay. Or interchangable heads from spray bar to jet would make it very versatile.

if you are real handy, a stainless steel hob overflow ala lifereef (with dual standard bulkead fittings) or maybe mame style plus the aforementioned return setup in matching finish.

I would prefer the lifereef style so that you can throttle back one drain to run a herbie style. Maybe go toothless and use a stainless steel mesh instead to work with the small fiah we typically see in planted tanks.

Real fancy would be 2 bulkeads with stainless lines down to the stand...dreams...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish list: steel spray bar that matches finish with the stainless surface skimming pipes you see on the bay. Or interchangable heads from spray bar to jet would make it very versatile.

if you are real handy, a stainless steel hob overflow ala lifereef (with dual standard bulkead fittings) or maybe mame style plus the aforementioned return setup in matching finish.

I would prefer the lifereef style so that you can throttle back one drain to run a herbie style. Maybe go toothless and use a stainless steel mesh instead to work with the small fiah we typically see in planted tanks.

Real fancy would be 2 bulkeads with stainless lines down to the stand...dreams...
If you can get me links to those references you're asking for, I can SEE what I can do. The spray bar bit sounds like a particularly fun challenge. (And it would be quite beautiful if it can work.)

UPDATE:
So, it looks like there's enough interest in these that I'll probably be making them. Are there any standard dimensions that most of you use? I'd prefer to start with the most common tube sizing first, so it'll fit most of everyone's stuff.

Clarification:
The steel will be SS 316 steel, which means it's fine for aquariums. (No rust.)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Stainless steel surface skimmer Flea-bay.com/itm/Aquarium-Stainless-Steel-17MM-Inflow-Outflow-Surface-Skimmer-Pipes-DC09-02-/160873866990

Replace the first part of the address with the real thing. The end of the pipe looks like it is pointable/swappable, but I've never seen one in person so can't attest. its pricy, so its hard to justify ordering unseen. I like there mounting kit. I own a fluval g6 so i think it is the 19mm ones? If the link doesnt work, you can google. I've thought about buying one of those $12 toms surface skimmers and bringing it to a welding shop so they could use the float for parts. I also think the spray bar that came with an old cascade filter is about the best design because you can adjust the length in sensible increments, and turn and point it relative to the return j-tube.

Lifereef or eshopps for overflow design. You would need dual outputs so that you can throttle one. Check out eshopps pf1000 for an example. In fact, if you were serious I would order one and try mocking up a stainless copy.

the other option is mame. Just search mame overflow. It is slick but I think it would be much harder to build and not as quiet.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Common ID tube sizing is 1/2" and 5/8", so the pipes should be 1/2" and 5/8" OD.

Not so sure on the length. It would look best if it were long enough to cover the entire height of the tank, so an 18" tank height should have at least an 18" long pipe.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

Just for all you guys out tree that want the skimmer attachment. I have it and...

It sucks.

It doesn't float consistently and I have to constantly adjust the screw to balance out the suction for it to float. The only other way I've found to have it work most of the time was then off the bottom Intake and dedicate it all to skimming. Even then the float doesn't reach the surface and probably sucks in a lot of my shrimp.
I have to adjust it every few days or it will cause air bubbles etc.

I'm on the look out to trade or buy a normal intake and out a prefilter on it. Everywhere I tried to go in Asia won't sell them separately unless it's a pair.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought the non-skimmer version of those pipes from [Ebay Link Removed] Very impressed with the quality. Alas, I cannot use them in my install after all so I'm selling them, for anyone interested.

·
Registered
81 Posts
id be very interested in some to fit 5/8th tubing. They would go in a mr aqua 12 long so they would have to be short.

looking forward to more info!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd be very interested in some stainless steel pipes for a 13mm tubing. Going to be attached to an eheim 2213 and would be fitted to a 20gal long.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
With so many on the market, they are going to be hard to sell until you get great at making them. Even for cheap, there are a lot of cheap options.

I would likely buy for a good price and good quality. However, I have had DIY acrylic ones. One thing that bugged me was they didn't have suction cups and I have to use holders to keep them on. I would much rather have the suction cup attached to the pipes, especially the outflow so I can adjust them. On metal pipes, you usually would weld this on, something to take into account. You could use other methods but that is the cleanest and easiest (for the end user).

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have 4 pairs at the moment, two different versions running on eheims 2211 and 2213 that I got off of ebay, I was very impressed by the quality for the price. If I set up any more tanks im definitely going with them again. Ill take pics and post em tmr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.