The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I create a low budget Co2 system, does it take much work and cost... I'm going to read up on it, but some advice from the pros would be helpful (you guys):D . Really what I would want is a cheap, minimal DIY setup.

I'm going with the Co2 because my light needs require Co2 (I think... opinions would be great) to keep algae from overgrowing and taking nutrients from the mid-light plants like Limnophila Aromatica and Rosaefolia.

If I could go without Co2 in a 2.24 watt per gallon, please inform (29 Gallon with 65 Watt 10,000K) I am not going to purchase the light until I know what to do about my Co2 situation. Help would be great, you guys always know your stuff :D

·
Registered
3,207 Posts

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, my desired set-up would work with a 65 watt 10,000k and Flourish dosing?

The thing with my budget is this. I use my own money to buy my equipment, but my parents really do not like me spending large amounts of money on things at one time. So in a sense, my parents would rather have me buy little bits of flourish here and there that actually add up to more than the DIY Co2 over time, than buying an expensive Co2 setup all at once. I mean, if a Co2 setup costs maybe like 50-60 bucks then I would get it... but they cost more, right? (please inform)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
you don't. accept for the first day or two, the Co2 from a DIY setup is still less than your tank could use were you to buy a compressed Co2 setup. Red Sea's DIY system diffuses using a powerhead which you could keep off at night when your plants don't need the Co2, but your bottle will still be producing it. using a valve may not be prudent, and could make your DIY apparatus burst unexpectedly.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just read it more clearly, it does everything!! OMFG!! There is something wrong here, it can be that easy and that cheap...
This is the one I found by the way, just incase it is not the one you are telling me about

So your trying to tell me that this will be enough CO2 for my desired plants and 65 watt light, if so, I love you :lol:

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bumpity bump

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the powerhead, and the fact that you can turn it off at night. I did realize it was essentially DIY, Thanks :icon_mrgr

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nahh man, can't spend that kind of money, my parents don't let me spend my money much... :icon_sad:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah, the powerhead, and the fact that you can turn it off at night. I did realize it was essentially DIY, Thanks
You aren't actually turning the CO2 off...you are just turning the diffusor off. There is still CO2 going into the tank, just not as much.

If you are worried about the fish, don't be. :) I use 2 juice bottles that are just over 2 liters on my 29g and the fish are fine with the CO2. I don't worry about "turning it off" because it doesn't affect them negatively. You can also just buy a powerhead to inject the CO2 in....the Turbo CO2 isn't worth the money! Its just a 1 liter cannister anyways so really wouldn't be enough for your tank IMO. And the venturi pump is really small...I'd just get a Maxijet powerhead. :D

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Cm, because you are on a tight budget
it be a waste of $30 for that Red Sea thing.
you can buy a $1 glass/ceramic air-stone,
a few yards of regular airline tubing, and
a 2 liter plastic ginger ale bottle and cap,
and make a wonderful DIY Co2 system for
any sugar&yeast Co2 generating recipe.
ask our Dad to drill a hole in the cap that
is smaller then the tubing diameter. he'll
enjoy being a part of your new hobby.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, how do I route the tubing to my filter for diffusion? I'm going DIY. I have a BioWheel 200...

Help me out with my really super huge important question at the end of the thread "Which is Better"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.