The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - 17" of snow on the ground today so I figured it's a good day to take care of some tank-related stuff and have a few questions:

1.) I typically dose my macro ferts dry, and just realized I never re-ordered anything new, so now I'm stuck in a slight panic and looking to order some ASAP. It's been so long since I have ordered that I can't remember where I got them from...what (or who) is the go-to place for dry ferts now?

2.) My tank is controlled via an Apex controller, and as I happen to have a few extra dosing pumps laying around, I thought about letting my Apex dose my ferts. That being said, does anyone have any experience taking dry ferts and mixing up their own liquid batches? Is there anything I need to be concerned with ex. settling-out, contaminants, stagnation, etc.?

I dose a modified EI method, front-loading micros directly after weekly 50% water changes and dosing macros 3x per week, every other day. With a bustling family, my mornings are hectic so I sometimes don't get the doses in consistently at the same time every day, or even on the correct day, lol. I'm hoping letting the Apex fully automate this responsibility will create a bit more stability in the tank.

Appreciate any and all input!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like to get my dry ferts from Greenleafaquariums.com. They have a great selection of macros and micros along with recipes for making your own liquid batches based on different dosing techniques (EI, PPS-pro etc.) If you are concerned about any contamination in your bottled ferts, using white vinegar in your solution will help to eliminate any fungus that could get introduced. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I bought my dry ferts from nicolg thrive. I haven't tried GLA though I have heard that they are the other goto place to get them.

I didn't do anything special with my micros and did get some fungus growing in the jar. I have heard that a little excel added to the mixture eliminates this. The other oddball thing is you need to use distilled water when mixing up the ferts. I took down the tank I was auto dosing ferts in a few months ago. My next tank will auto dose ferts inline from the canister filter. One thing to keep an eye on when dosing liquid is to make sure the tips of the tubes where the ferts enter your aquarium don't clog up. They can get a residue that will block flow. I'm going to try to overdilute my ferts to combat this, but I haven't actually done it yet so I don't know if it will help. Good luck!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought my dry ferts from nicolg thrive. I haven't tried GLA though I have heard that they are the other goto place to get them.

I didn't do anything special with my micros and did get some fungus growing in the jar. I have heard that a little excel added to the mixture eliminates this. The other oddball thing is you need to use distilled water when mixing up the ferts. I took down the tank I was auto dosing ferts in a few months ago. My next tank will auto dose ferts inline from the canister filter. One thing to keep an eye on when dosing liquid is to make sure the tips of the tubes where the ferts enter your aquarium don't clog up. They can get a residue that will block flow. I'm going to try to overdilute my ferts to combat this, but I haven't actually done it yet so I don't know if it will help. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I have a reef tank as well, so I have plenty of RODI water available and is what I plan to mix up my ferts in. Good advice on the tubes as well - that is often a problem in the saltwater world, so I'll be sure to do periodic checks to make sure everything is running smoothly.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I ordered powders from someone here on the forums 3 years ago (I suspect it was burr740) and still haven't used them all, if you want to mix your own that is a good place to start.

GLA, Seachem line, as well as nicolg are also great choices if you don't want to mix your own.

·
Registered
250 Posts
you can mix your micros with the and macros. just make sure the macro solution has a low pH (<6.5). that prevents the iron and phosphate from precipitating out. can add 10ml/500ml excel or vinegar to your solution to prevent mold and lower pH. then just dose 3 times a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.