The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have done my research for the required hardware. My brain hurts... BOTH Neurons!
Planning a 72lx30hx24w tank. Low Light/Low Tech.

The following is my proposed 'main' lights (series) and will be combined with a few more lower kelvin led's on separate circuits to provide sunrise/sunset/colour softening and moonlight.

9x CREE XM-L2 U3, rated at 1050lm (unknown test parameters) 8300K, white. 3A max, 3.0-4.2V. http://dx.com/p/16mm-5w-550lm-8500k-cool-white-cree-xm-l2-flashlight-lamp-emitter-board-black-235034
Harvard CC driver. 1.75A/34V. http://uk.farnell.com/harvard/clq21-240-c/led-driver-ac-dc-cc-2-1a-29-5v/dp/1974161

Am I well off base with this proposed set-up? I'm thinking of 3 clusters of 3 led's on water cooled heatsinks (heat economiser filter outlet).
I fear even with a low light set-up I might need more LED's considering a 2" substrate and led's about 4/6" above waterline. Or possibly just lenses?

Want to grow Anubias, Crypts, Java Fern for the most part. A large Sword or 2 would be nice, as would Vallis.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Are the tank dimensions in inches? If so, I don't believe you have enough LEDs to light the whole tank.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would avoid the cool whites or at least mix them with an equal amount of warmer light. things look very washed out to my eye with that color temp of light. the new emitter that is getting me excited is the luxeon cob. you can get an efficiency of over 100 lumens per watt and get a 5 k light with a 80 cri. the cri of the xmls is not that good. everyone has a different preference in the color temp of the light on their tank but I lean toward a lower k with a higher cri with a bit of supplemental blue and red to add some pop.

·
Registered
236 Posts
to add to hoppys point if you dimensions are in inches that is a 220 I think. my 300 is lit by 150 watts of very efficient leds and would qualify as high light. I would aim for a max wattage of around 100 over a 220 so I could have higher light if needed and dim it down if I wanted a lower light level. that will also allow you to change the color temp if you run the reds and blues on a different string than your cool and warm whites.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, inches. Yes, 220g.
Will check out the CoB.

OK, need to ramp it up a bit and soften the colour temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts