The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

So this is an update and query post in one.

I completed the build of my DIY led light....I have 8 x COB 12 watt Led.

[Ebay Link Removed] GU10 12W DIMMABLE CREE COB LED spot Light Bulb Downlight lamps Black Cool Wh | eBay[/url]

It looks awesome and it is brighter than when I had the 4 x T5 running however it isnt pushing the growth of my plants as much as I expected.

I am looking to add a couple of full spectrum led to the middle of the setup...so aye...any suggestions for good value full spectrum bulbs which I can add into my setup just to give the plants a little extra.

I will post a photo later just to show where I am at, I am still quite new to the planted high tank thing but I am quite pleased with my diy canopy :) (my tank and cabinet are all DIY too) :grin2:

·
Registered
215 Posts
The two peaks that plants need the most for photosynthesis are around 450 nm (deep blue) and 660 nm (deep red). 'Cool white' bulbs should have a reasonable amount of 450 nm content but probably have almost no red. If you want to continue working with bulbs, rather than bare LEDs, I would recommend that you look for some warm white (2700K or so) GU10 bulbs to supplement the warm end of the spectrum. You could put the warm and cool bulbs on separate dimmers and mix the two to get to where you need.

-Justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok here is a photo of my tank today as it is with diy lights. The one thing that is going crazy is my dwarf sag carpet..(it keeps my cory and loaches safe from the exodons)

I am planning to grow a dense forest of stargrass in the corner over by the wood but I want to get things right, I am swaying towards my slow rotala growth being a nutrient issue rather than a lighting issue. The dwarf sag must absorb alot of nutrient and I only dose profito .....could I possibly be needing a supplementary iron/potassium fert to blanace things up ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.