The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am looking for some advice from any folks who have expereince of building their own lighting fixtures.

I did have a quad t5 54 watt ho over my 260 litre tank (with co2)...anyway when one of the ballast failed I have been running it just with 2 x 54 watts and its not ideal.

I wanna go back to "high lighting" and I have built an led unit with 8 x gu10 led spotlights.

I have 8 bulbs ...5 watts( 18 SMD bulbs @400-450 lumens each)but it is slightly duller than my exisiting 2 x 54 watt T5 bulbs I have presently . (the shimmer and clarity is way better than the T5 though...if I can just get bulb power right it will be knockout)

So intend to upgrade to 8 x 12 watt cree (one single led chip) bulbs 1100 lumens-1350 lumens per bulb. My fear is that it will be too much....I am not great at doing the math on all this and reading up on different aspects of LED lights has got me confused...if anyone could offer some feedback on the cree 12 watt idea it would be much appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Hi
I am looking for some advice from any folks who have expereince of building their own lighting fixtures.

I did have a quad t5 54 watt ho over my 260 litre tank (with co2)...anyway when one of the ballast failed I have been running it just with 2 x 54 watts and its not ideal.

I wanna go back to "high lighting" and I have built an led unit with 8 x gu10 led spotlights.

I have 8 bulbs ...5 watts( 18 SMD bulbs @400-450 lumens each)but it is slightly duller than my exisiting 2 x 54 watt T5 bulbs I have presently . (the shimmer and clarity is way better than the T5 though...if I can just get bulb power right it will be knockout)

So intend to upgrade to 8 x 12 watt cree (one single led chip) bulbs 1100 lumens-1350 lumens per bulb. My fear is that it will be too much....I am not great at doing the math on all this and reading up on different aspects of LED lights has got me confused...if anyone could offer some feedback on the cree 12 watt idea it would be much appreciated. Cheers
8 CREE's should be close to what you had, if not a wee bit over/under.. Nubers alone aren't really good enough but your 1/2W LED per 1W t5 is pretty good..
3/4w plus a dimming solution is better.... ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts