The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a DIY light fixture using AHS lights that will fit inside my existing canopy. The idea is that there is a fixed bulb, and a moving bulb for accessibility with the canopy in place or removed. The fixture wont tip because the the canopy will hold down the fixture when opening or closing.

Here's the concept.

Canopy removed:

rear of fixture with canopy removed:

The back is open for wiring. The back brace will be more centered on the final product so any wiring or tubing can reach the tank. The ballast will be installed on the back rail.

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That is a great idea! The problem with the light canopy I made with two AHS 55 watt kits was that the front light was shining in my face when I opened the front. You solved that problem very well. I think I would use two parallel links instead of just one, at each end, so the front fixture wouldn't tend to tilt when the "lid" is opened.

Please post photos as you build this, so we can see how you do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoppy thanks for the feedback.

I might add two offset links on each side so the top is self supporting when open.

Here's a fixture I built 10 years ago on a severe budget (~$20). The links support the light as I describe. It's not pretty, but it wasn't meant to be seen either. My new design is really just a cleaned up version of this one.

The fixture will be 3/8 plywood (or thinner), painted white. The canopy is wood, but since the fixture isn't visible and I really don't like sanding...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Very interesting! It's amazing how many things can be done with linkages, if one spends enough time on design. Euro hinges are basically just linkages, for example, and those are now made for a big variety of door configurations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is my latest changes.
I added a second bracket to keep the moving fixture level and to hold itself in place when open. I also moved the rear crossmember so I can wire or plump the tank as needed.

linkages are fun.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I think you are getting there with the design. What will hold the rear light in place when you lift the front light to rotate it back over on top? If it is pretty heavy that would do it, or if it were a snug fit on the tank, or velcroed to the tank, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The weight of the canopy will hold it in place during feeding. The Ballast(s) will be attached to the rear light, so I think it'll be heavy enough to stay down when opening with the canopy off. I didn't have a tipping problem when I did this with the rain gutters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts