The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start building my 47g Eheim aquascape and my vision is to have 2 or 3 pendants over the aquarium. I've done a little research but then stumbled upon this forum, I see (read) there are some extremely knowledgeable people here so I'm looking for advice. Anyone up for the challenge of helping me achieve this 馃檪

Dan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaa well there is a few stipulations from my wife one of which is budget...as for making it look good I can do that! I'm just a little green when it comes to what I actually do need. Soldering, electrical, mechanical, fabrication and woodwork I have down, figuring out what I need and on a budget is my downfall. The scape will be mid to heavily planted as well as several non aquatic plants around it, I'm also torn between pendants mounted from the ceiling or mounts from the wall or even mounts from the antique dresser (I favor this option) that's being adapted for all the electrical and filtration to be hidden inside of but again all things I am capable of. I just need help with the actual lighting???

Dan

Registered
My solution to this problem are regular fixtures and either 5000k 'grow bulbs' or br30 type smart bulbs.

The latter lets me set timers, sunrise and sunset effects, and select color temperature all for 20 dollars a bulb. The setup above is for my eventual 75 gallon tank setup. Should give me 30-50 par at substrate according to my par meter. I could have higher light but I specifically don't want higher light.

Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
Well then you need to decide what lights you will need. To do that, what's going in the tank first of all? any thoughts or plans as of yet?

Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
Dang... Minorhero just posted as I was posting. Do what they did. hahaha. What I mean by that is the adjustable lights are a great idea and this is more what you are looking to do I'm sure.

I think that adding the lights to a the dresser would be your best bet. Mostly cause if it's ever moved, even an inch over everything will be lined up still. The other is that it should be easier to attach than to the wall or roof.

Registered
Hahaa well there is a few stipulations from my wife one of which is budget...as for making it look good I can do that! I'm just a little green when it comes to what I actually do need. Soldering, electrical, mechanical, fabrication and woodwork I have down, figuring out what I need and on a budget is my downfall. The scape will be mid to heavily planted as well as several non aquatic plants around it, I'm also torn between pendants mounted from the ceiling or mounts from the wall or even mounts from the antique dresser (I favor this option) that's being adapted for all the electrical and filtration to be hidden inside of but again all things I am capable of. I just need help with the actual lighting???

Dan

First a possible housing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My solution to this problem are regular fixtures and either 5000k 'grow bulbs' or br30 type smart bulbs.

The latter lets me set timers, sunrise and sunset effects, and select color temperature all for 20 dollars a bulb. The setup above is for my eventual 75 gallon tank setup. Should give me 30-50 par at substrate according to my par meter. I could have higher light but I specifically don't want higher light.

This is the style I failed to describe, I want to use the same style metal work but was thinking of 3 arms coming off the dresser I'm using. Do you have a link for the bulbs then all I'll need is to pick out the fixtures. That is awesome though 馃憦
Well then you need to decide what lights you will need. To do that, what's going in the tank first of all? any thoughts or plans as of yet?

Yes! I have plans for a community tank, celestial danios in the upper column, 2 peacock gobies mid column and around 15 cory doras at the bottom. Plus a super red bristlenose and a handful of oto's maybe. Scape will be raised to the left and right dropping down into a sand center, hardscape and like I said before mid to heavy planted. All the electrical (canister, inline UV, inline heater) and all the plumbing will be out of sight. No plans on CO2 as of yet but mayyyybe in the future. Also I'll be adding tropical plants around the sides and possibly along the back. Been thinking on this for a while...

Registered
This is the style I failed to describe, I want to use the same style metal work but was thinking of 3 arms coming off the dresser I'm using. Do you have a link for the bulbs then all I'll need is to pick out the fixtures. That is awesome though 馃憦

Yes! I have plans for a community tank, celestial danios in the upper column, 2 peacock gobies mid column and around 15 cory doras at the bottom. Plus a super red bristlenose and a handful of oto's maybe. Scape will be raised to the left and right dropping down into a sand center, hardscape and like I said before mid to heavy planted. All the electrical (canister, inline UV, inline heater) and all the plumbing will be out of sight. No plans on CO2 as of yet but mayyyybe in the future. Also I'll be adding tropical plants around the sides and possibly along the back. Been thinking on this for a while...
This is the smart bulb I have in the middle light. I have it at 100% 31 inches above the top of the stand. Closer and you would want to dim it unless you want high light.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Registered
Would 2 be sufficient? The aquarium is 17.5 in high, 39 in wide and 15 in deep. I'm about to go to Lowes to check out fixtures and fittings 馃榾
Height and beam angles matter..

Registered
Do you have any recommendations?
I think Jeffkrol is pointing out that you won't be able to make an exact reproduction of my settings without doing the same height I have. That said, you can fudge it to a certain degree. Using a lux meter (or the smart phone app 'lux meter') taking the result and dividing by 80 you can get a very rough approximation of par/ppfd at various distances from a light source.

2 bulbs and fixtures using the smart bulbs I linked should work well. I'd look for a fixture deep enough that the bulb won't stick out. Also be prepared to raise the fixture higher if you want more coverage.

Registered
Do you have any recommendations?
Lets start w/ minorheros suggestion (which is fine btw) and expand on it a bit..with these (random search btw)
This GU10 base runs off 120v ac.
12V version (will need a power supply but should be better since most power conversion from ac to dc is OFF the light itself.)

so now you have 4w 25 degree spots..full control .
Bulbs are 2" wide..
Normally to assure high coverage I'd suggest 10 bulbs 1W/gallon but if you optimize the output you should be able to use less.
Say 8..

Using 15" deep and a beam angle of 25 you want to be 34" off the water line.
Minimum amount of bulbs (not considering strength) would be 3 which probably would not be sufficient and far from 2 spot 16W bulbs.

Unlike minorheros suggestion (NEED TO STRESS THIS IS AN ALTERNATE technique) I prefer all light angles being handled by the bulb itself.
The fixture is just a glare shield.

Obviously a track light and heads set 34" off the tank top is much more complicated.
In the spirit of diy.. sockets as opposed to track light..

Ideally one would find higher than 4 w smart bulbs.

Then again.. $400

Registered
Sorry couldn't resist and was the best ai prime setup I've ever seen.

Registered
I just found these at Lowes for $30 each, is there a reason I couldn't use them?
Grow Light(#GR-REF2-SSFX) 鈥 StonePoint LED Lighting
Really yellow an at 100 degree beam angle , unless you don't mind a lot of light spill, your starting height (based on 15" dia "spot" ) is like 6".

At least they list the angle.. ;)
Now it's def useable to grow stuff..
If you want simple single color output that opens up a whole section of lights.

Back to 25 degrees and the "better" 5000k color temp.
Thinklux PAR30 LED Bulb - High 90+ CRI - 13W - 75W Equivalent - Long Neck - Spot 25 Degree Beam Angle - Dimmable - Indoor/Outdoor Wet Rated
@ $10/ bulb 5000k and 90+ CRI sort of a steal.
Back to 3...

Dang currently unavailable.. so much for that.

Back to China..
$100 for 3. Beam angle adjustable from 10-60 degrees 5000k 95+ CRI
Apparently Triac dimmable so you can use a wall type switch/dimmer. Word of warning not all work..

2 = 32W should do 3 is a guarantee..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really yellow an at 100 degree beam angle , unless you don't mind a lot of light spill, your starting height (based on 15" dia "spot" ) is like 6".

At least they list the angle.. ;)
Now it's def useable to grow stuff..
If you want simple single color output that opens up a whole section of lights.

Back to 25 degrees and the "better" 5000k color temp.
Thinklux PAR30 LED Bulb - High 90+ CRI - 13W - 75W Equivalent - Long Neck - Spot 25 Degree Beam Angle - Dimmable - Indoor/Outdoor Wet Rated
@ $10/ bulb 5000k and 90+ CRI sort of a steal.
Back to 3...

So 3 of these bulbs would be good coverage for my 47 gallon and beneficial to plant growth. Then all I need to do is construct the light fixtures?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts