The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of adding 2x cheap eBay LED strips (1 currently installed) to the underside of my existing LED unit for some added ambient light, and for a bit of a moonlight effect.

With only the LED unit on, the aluminium housing reaches 37C. With the LED unit and one strip on, it gets to 45. I'm expecting it to be 50+ once another strip is added.

My question is, should I bother fixing some aluminium heat sinks to the top of the unit to help dissipate some of the heat away? I'd be able to cover the entire top face of the housing with aluminium fins for around $15.

Is it worth it, or can the LEDs operate efficiently and safely in the above temperatures? Attached is a photo of th eunit with one strip attached, and the heatsink I can buy.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
A couple fans attached to the top would be a better option. The fins will probably be harder to mount and add a significant amount of weight to the light, possibly more than the mounting can take. Also a couple fans spining at low rpm will cool better than fins that will be cooled by natural convection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.