The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY hood, light w/o glass top. 48" fluorescent tube. CONDENSATION?

5556 15
Hi, thanks for looking, im planning on building a wood hood for my 48inch 55 gallon (200L). Its gonna be a shop light in the hood without glass top on tank. I was thinking of enclosing the wood top except some cut out in the back for filter. Is this a big problem. Will the light become too wet from condensation? Will the wood get too wet, im gonna stain or paint inside white to reflect more light.

Questions on tank balance. Im doing low tech setup. See it http://www.aquascapingworld.com/foru...-new-post.html

Am i using too much light with 2 40watt fluorescent tubes. I dose 1/2 flora pride. No CO2. I might reduce light to 10 hours with more lighting. Will I grow algea. I do water changes weekly.

Any other advice. Do I really need a glass top to protect shop light?
Can I still get by without CO2?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
I can't see the pics on the other forum, so I can't comment on your tank. I have found that if you don't have glass tops on, that you have problems getting the lights to come on when you flip the switch. I still need to get one more glass top for my spawning tanks stand to correct this problem. Check out my thread, I don't think you will need that much light. On my 55 I just run 1 32watt T-8 bulb and the algea is not a problem. I don't use Co2 in my tank.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
I have had a very different experience than Trallen44.

I have had shop lights just resting on top of my 90 for years with no issues. There has been some condensation and a little rust after 4 years. But I do not have a canopy, I would expect that a canopy will keep more moisture in the lights. If you prime the wood well, I have heard oil base primers recommended and put on several coats you should not have a problem with the wood.

My lights are over driven x4 and I ran it without ferts or co2 for over 2 years. I have a heavily enriched substrate however. I run them on a timer and have no issues with them coming on. In fact, my cat knocked the light into the tank about 3 weeks ago, they still work just fine.

If you click on the 90 gallon in my signature you can see how I set up the substrate.

Best of luck with the tank.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, tallen i have read your post. Great, I think the hood will cause more condensation. How does the mosture effect the light. Do you mean like light quality lumens. Would love to hear more.

What is kno3 for. i use flora pride, which is iron and potash. Is two lights too much, will it cause an algea problem without co2

· Registered
708 Posts
On my spawning tanks stand, I have 3 3' T-12 light fixtures. Just your basic shop lights from Lowe's. I have them all wired to one light switch. When I first built it, all 3 lights would come on at the same time. Now that there has been condinsation and water popping up from the air bubbles they don't all come on at the same time. I jst got home about 5 minutes ago and flipped the switch and 2 came on. Within the next 10 minutes or so the third one will come on. I think it is from the water coming up into the semi hoods around the lights and getting into the fixture. I have used the flora pride too when my plants start looking a little yellow. Other than that, I just used seachum root tabs in the gravel. When I did my rescape, I did get a little bit of algea with just my single bulb. I have gotten it under control now, and I haven't ever had to use Co2 in my tank. It might grow a little slower, but with a full time job and 11 tanks I don't need a tank that needs lots of attention.

· Registered
139 Posts
While building a hood I test drove it over a filled tank. The hood wasn't stained and painted yet and the tank didn't have a glass top. I would up with some pretty nasty water stains on it. If i were to run and enclosed canopy without a glass top I would want to ventilate it somehow. Reef folks use fans.

· Registered
10,722 Posts
On my spawning tanks stand, I have 3 3' T-12 light fixtures. Just your basic shop lights from Lowe's. I have them all wired to one light switch. When I first built it, all 3 lights would come on at the same time. Now that there has been condinsation and water popping up from the air bubbles they don't all come on at the same time. I jst got home about 5 minutes ago and flipped the switch and 2 came on. Within the next 10 minutes or so the third one will come on. I think it is from the water coming up into the semi hoods around the lights and getting into the fixture. I have used the flora pride too when my plants start looking a little yellow. Other than that, I just used seachum root tabs in the gravel. When I did my rescape, I did get a little bit of algea with just my single bulb. I have gotten it under control now, and I haven't ever had to use Co2 in my tank. It might grow a little slower, but with a full time job and 11 tanks I don't need a tank that needs lots of attention.

This is what happens to all lights, not just from water. You need to replace the starters for these lamps.

· Banned
1,241 Posts
Thanks i have built the hood as planned, if i have a problem with condensation i will add plexiglass. The hood looks great stained. i will try to upload some pics and plans of the hood and cabinet
I participate in another forum where the rule is if there isn't a pic, it didn't happen. :)

Let's see it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.