The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my glass top today and want to replace it with a DIY glass top. Will a 3/32 glass slab from home depot work? I don't know if that's thick enough or if I need to worry about heat. I have 3 T8's that I will put directly on top of it.

If anyone has used this please let me know how it worked...or any concerns I should have. Thanks :proud:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I cut my own tops for all my growout tanks. I would be more worried about thickness to be able to reuse the hinge from the original top. If you have any piece of the original glass, I'd measure that and try to match it.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
thickness should only be considered when dealing with bigger fish, a thin one like what you mentioned is fine if you don't mind not having a hinge, imo you dont need it, if you keep bigger fish it helps to have heavy glass =]

glass at 3/32s will withstand the heat let off by t5ho that are right on the glass so unless you're dealing with really high heat go ahead with it, if you plan on re using hinges go with the same size glass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.