The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only 14 and can't work and it's hard to get the money I need for tanks, filters, heaters, fish, etc. so I want to make my own food, package it and sell it on here.

Can someone tell me a basic recipe for regular tropical fish, then anything for shrimp, corydoras and plecos?

I tried gel goldfish food once but it broke up into a bunch of pieces in the tank and made a huge mess. Maybe I didn't use enough gelatin so it just broke into tons of pieces and didn't hold together good?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I wouldn't attempt to package it and sell. You have to worry about quality and shelf life. People buy commercial foods or make their own to freeze.

There are a few DIY food threads, one recently. Check that out.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Fish food needs to be balanced for healthy fish. Many people supplement staple foods with home made, or even just vegetables, but to promote healthy long lived anything you need too many ingredients that you aren't going to be able to afford.

At 14, I'd suggest hitting garage sales and negotiating for bargains on good quality surplus that you can sell or use to trade up for what you need. Finding, joining and supporting your local fish club would be a good starting place too. For anyone.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts