The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just made my first batch of gel food and am really happy with it. The commercial manufacturers could never make a food as good as this. I have seen goldfish go pretty crazy over food before but the way they flipped out over this stuff was stupid. Here's what I used:

50% peas
20% water
15% New Life Spectrum large fish formula
10% pure spirulina
5% agar
a few drops of garlic oil
9 probiotics blend

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yup, you can try blending In a fish fillet next time. Make to cook it to kill any fish parasites.
I pop the slurry in the microwave to cook.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I seriously considered a salmon fillet but it may be inferior to the protien makeup of the spirulina (natures most complete protien, they say) and to the whole krill meal in the NLS. I tend to trust oscarfish.com for food analysis and they prefer the krill meal to the salmon. Anyway, I might use some salmon in the future. I also considered, but ultimately vetoed, various other veg, brine shrimp and fish oil. I wish I could have located some lactobaccilius sporogenes. One interesting thing I discovered was that a tiny bottle of krill oil at the health food store is like FIFTY BUCKS! Sheesh. That stuff better be real good for you. I gotta start eating krill.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I keep a small tupperware in the fridge. When we buy fresh seafood for ourselves (I eat a lot of Fish) I alway put a pc into the box. I always have a nice selection of bit & pcs to make food from that way.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good idea. It might even get me eating more fish. I was joking about wanting to eat more krill, but I have got to start eating more fish again. I once was almost pescatarian but have moved away from eating fish because the wife does not eat fish. Imagine! I don't feel nearly as good about my diet related health as I used to and working on fish food is reminding me of the importance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts