·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
1) Get a tripod!

2) I just took the old filter frame, put that quilt batting over the frame, clipped it on top and rubber-banded it in place. Seems like it would work better with that filter design. Most of your media is doing nothing, with this setup.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Good work on the DIY.

Personally though, I like to use the filter pads that are recommended by my manufacturer for the canisters I run (eheim and Rena Filstar). They fit perfect, give you varying density over the course of filtration (coarser to finer) and regardless of what the manufacturer says, you do not need to buy new ones until they disintegrate. In my case this has been over 5 years and the pads still look new after many, many cleanings.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, i usually never listen to thier "3 month or week" thing.
I started making these for my hob filter beause i think they would last more, for the manuctures filter Pads, i think their covering is too thin.

And i think this only works for hob filters, because ive never tried to put it in my canister filter.

Gl everyone
Happy plankeeping

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
I agree, i usually never listen to thier "3 month or week" thing.
I started making these for my hob filter beause i think they would last more, for the manuctures filter Pads, i think their covering is too thin.

And i think this only works for hob filters, because ive never tried to put it in my canister filter.

Gl everyone
Happy plankeeping
Yeah HOB filters have a horrible choice for media.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is an ebay seller that has great deals on filter foams. The name is zanyzap. I see he has all the aquaclear sizes. 16 aquaclear50(200) foams for 15 dollars shipped. He claims that these are the exact same foams without the brand name box. Also has fluval, cascade, and marinland cansiter filter foams in bulk packs. He claims his foams come from the same OEM that makes the originals.

Filter floss just doesn't last very long and isn't reusable. I have had aquaclear sponges that I used longer than 10 years. In the long run, its cheaper and more convenient to use a proper sponge. I've stuck aquaclear sponges into every brand of HOB filter I ever used.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sponges are very cheap and are a great way to get out any shape or size or crap from your tank, its just my friend gave all this poly-foam and i found a great way to use it.

question for RoyalFizbin: what size sponge do you use? because usually they don't fit perfectly and usually you either have to cut them or place 2 in.
and also what filters do you use?
i was personally using the "Quiet-Flow 10"
the filter pads i use fit perfectly.

gl and happy plantkeeping!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I usually use aquaclear50(200) sponges. I own a 200, 150, and a mini so these are the sizes i usually have on hand. I've stuffed them into a penguin filter and several un-known brand filters. I don't have any of these anymore, they were given to me used from various people and thrown away after they got too noisy. Aquaclears are great in that you can replace the parts easily. Idealy if you can get away with doing it in one piece of sponge, that would be best but sometimes it takes more than one. I've also put sponges in the small in-tank filters. I have a fluval 304 that takes 4 sponges, i also cut up some old aquaclear sponges and stuffed one of the media baskets for additional mechanical filltration.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.