The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I went to and spent some time at tap plastic in San Francisco. I always wanted to go to this place and I'm glad I finally did. I originally went to pick up some acrylic for diy light risers but also was looking for some ideas for how to mount a case fan. I found 2 4in by 7in acrylic for $2 each so I bought both. This will fit a 92mm by 92mm case fan with room to bend for the mounting hardware. Bending the acrylic is easy with a heat gun but you can also use a hair blow dryer. For the hole I use a 3/1/4 bi-metal hole saw. The fan I got is from AC infinity super quiet and moves 42 cmf rating which was good enough for cooling a few degree. It took about 1 hour to cool from 76 degree back down to 74. So far this was a fun project and worth the time to try it yourself.

Bump: I would also like to mention that both my heater and cooling fan is plug into the new inkbird controller. It keeps my temp stable at 74 degree and I set the controller to turn the heater on and cooling fan on if the temp change by 1 degree. So far the controller unit is working nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can we get a close up of the mounting?
Ah yes good question, I will take a close up photo of the mounts and post after work. I actually use a plastic bolt and two plastic nut. One nut inside which acts like a spacer and a nut outside to hold the two acrylic leg in place.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Payluder - have to admit your mounting hardware is much better looking than my system. I am finding having the fan point right at the water does seem to do a pretty good job at lowering the water temp (and lowering the water level, lol).

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Payluder - have to admit your mounting hardware is much better looking than my system. I am finding having the fan point right at the water does seem to do a pretty good job at lowering the water temp (and lowering the water level, lol).

Thank you man. It came with a price while drilling the 3 1/4 hole the acrylic caught on and cut my palm.

Your setup looks good with the dual fan but you got me thinking about aiming the fan across or pointing it downwards. Since I'm working with acrylic I will bend it downwards and see how fast the cooling goes.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Sorry about the palm - been there, done that! Not sure where I read it, but it seems that having a decent breeze moving across the water in addition to some surface rippling seems to have a good effect on cooling the water. As stated in another thread (pumice vs matrix) I lost about 1/2" of water due to evaporation in each of the 10 gallon tanks in 1 day. Granted the air temp was in the upper 90's. Hopefully the air temp around your tank does not get that high!

Edit, BTW, your tank looks fantastic. Very classy looking!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I am building a hood for my 20H and I am putting four pc fans in it. I did a lot of research and the approach I am taking is two fans on each end of the tank all blowing and a hole in the top of the hood for the heat to escape. This configuration was recommended to others on other forums so its what I went with. I will know soon how well it works. Even with the air on my house gets warm on 90+ degree days. It makes sense to me that the way @Immortal1 has his setup works well and jibes with what others have said. I believe Immortal1 said his tanks dropped 15 degrees below ambient (100 air temp and 85 on the tanks wasnt it? ) which is better than you will get with a chiller and much cheaper to operate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Its the cooling effect of evaporation. Once the air around the tank is saturated with water the cooling effect and rate evaporation diminishes rapidly. It is where the heat index of summer comes into play.

We hit 110 heat index already here, it was a lovely day indeed.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Its the cooling effect of evaporation. Once the air around the tank is saturated with water the cooling effect and rate evaporation diminishes rapidly. It is where the heat index of summer comes into play.

We hit 110 heat index already here, it was a lovely day indeed.
So, thats how it works. I know what works, just not how. So, blowing the saturated air away from the surface of the water allows the water to evaporate more water (and more heat). Gives me an idea of how I can improve the function (not the looks) of the system I have. thankyou for the clarification.

Reactions: MCSLABS

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Menards 3/4" vinyl tubing. They also have 5/8" vinyl tubing. It is stiffer than Eheim tubing but with a careful application of a heat gun you can pretty much get it to do what you want.

Reactions: MCSLABS

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can we get a close up of the mounting?

Here is the mounting hardware. Simple and works well too bad I cant find the same size bolt and nut in acrylic. This fan is very heavy but the mount is pretty strong with no movement or vibration.

Bump:
Sorry about the palm - been there, done that! Not sure where I read it, but it seems that having a decent breeze moving across the water in addition to some surface rippling seems to have a good effect on cooling the water. As stated in another thread (pumice vs matrix) I lost about 1/2" of water due to evaporation in each of the 10 gallon tanks in 1 day. Granted the air temp was in the upper 90's. Hopefully the air temp around your tank does not get that high!

Edit, BTW, your tank looks fantastic. Very classy looking!

So after seeing your fan pointed downwards I bent my mount to point the fan down and I can report that there is a big difference on how fast the cooling is. There is also much more surface rippling so I guess that helps with evaporations and cooling. Im excited to see how this setup does in the coming summer months. I may add a second fan on the otherside since I have a extra acrylic mount.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.