The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just setting up a 10g planted tank, and have been researching DIY CO2 but I have a couple questions that I'm sure you've heard before but I just couldn't find the answers to

If I'm running a medium light (~2.5 watts/gallon) do I need CO2 in the tank? Will my plants grow without it? I know it's not hard to set up, so if it won't hurt anything I would probably do it anyway, I was just curious.

If/when I set up the CO2, can I diffuse it through an airstone? I've heard mixed things about it and wanted to be sure that was okay, I can always find a different way to diffuse it if you guys don't think airstones work very well.

Last question (for now anyway) do you need a drop checker or a bubble counter with DIY CO2? Or should I just assume that it's hard to put too much diy into the tank and leave it at that?

Once again sorry if these questions have been asked over and over, and I was just not seeing the answers

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You're correct, these have been asked before.
Your job will be to answer the next time they get asked. ;-)
We all start with a lack of knowledge. That's curable.
The search feature on the forum will help you a LOT. Play with it.

DIY CO2 on a 10 gallon works. It's a great size to learn with.
An air stone will work, but the bubbles won't be as fine as they could be. Smaller bubbles = more bubbles in contact with the water = more Carbon in the water.
Google chopstick CO2 diffuser for the cheapest slick trick for fine bubbles.

Many of us started with DIY and air stones, moved up to Hagen "ladders" and then made the move to pressurized and a glass/ceramic diffuser. Many stay with DIY for a long time as it is cheap on a weekly basis.

A drop checker is a great investment. Here is the least expensive kit I've seen.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/742/AZOO-Carbon-Dioxide-Test-Kit-Refill

Have fun and remember you can't valve down DIY CO2 or shut it off over night so you will need an air stone bubbling air at least at night.

·
Registered
124 Posts
atm, im using the jello method for diy co2. ive got it running into a hagen elite filter...but im sure i could be getting better results using a diffuser of sorts, but im not too concerned with that seeing as how ive got mostly low maintainence plants and i dont have a drop checker; IME diy co2 wont put out enough to kill off your fish.

if you can afford it though, pressurized is the way to go. im currently working on a pressurized set up for a 75 im getting on monday and ive only put in around $120 into it (i just need to build my inline reactor now). total cost should end up being around $130-$140

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pressurized CO2 sounds great ... but being in college and paying for classes and books means I don't have a whole lot of extra money just sitting around ;) Maybe as a gift at some point! Congrats on your upgrade though!

Thanks both of you for your suggestions :) I think that I will find a drop checker and I actually have chopsticks laying around my house so I think that will work wonderfully! Thank you for the suggestion. As for an airstone, would it work to just put it on the same timer as the lights? I'm just not sure that I will always be around at the same time to turn it on and off.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.