The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going with DIY CO2 for my 30 gal tank and question is do I need a check valve in the line? Also I suppose the ones I have for air stones wont be good enough for CO2?
Thanks
Gene

·
Registered
301 Posts
Contrary to what everybody else will tell you on these forums, I'll tell you to not use one. They increase the preasure that your bottle will need to generate. This seems to reduce the useful runing time of a batch.
If you really must use one, keep in mind that not all check valves are made the same. Some constrict the flow much more than others. I have one that can visually reduce the flow of air from an air pump in half. I think you're better off just putting a loop of your air line that is higher than both your bottle and your tank water line.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds right to me. I was concerned about the restriction of the valve causing low CO2 flow. I think i will go with the loop if I can figure out how to keep in in place.
Gene

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
i have one on my diy setup with 2 1L bottles and am currently running ~35ppm of dissolved co2 in the tank. i think a slight amount of lost pressure is less less concerning then 20g or so of water on my living room floor, as well as the unsightly apperence of MORE tubing and equipment in the background of my tank, just my oppinon though.

B

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have one on my diy setup with 2 1L bottles and am currently running ~35ppm of dissolved co2 in the tank. i think a slight amount of lost pressure is less less concerning then 20g or so of water on my living room floor, as well as the unsightly apperence of MORE tubing and equipment in the background of my tank, just my oppinon though.

B
Are you using the brass type or the cheaper airline type like I already have several of?
Gene

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is almost no chance that it is gonna syphon out onto your floor. The worst i see happening is that your tank syphons back into your bottle and then the water mixes into your tank but that shouldn't happen if your bottle is pressurized which it should be. Only way the water gets on your floor is if your hose gets disconected from your bottle and that shouldn't happen unless your bottle exploded from a blockage. A check valve will not prevent your bottle from exploding.
I put a loop in my line above the tank for an hour untill the the co2 starts flowing then i tuck the line back down. How hard is it to prop it up with something for a hour?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If your bottle is air tight like it should be then it can't syphon! Think about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts