The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say that I am using this CO2 kit. I got it on ebay, and it is working really well for my tanks. I have a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon. I use citric acid and baking soda to make my CO2. The citric acid is pretty inexpensive and it really is working out well for me.

Anyone else using this kit?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've gotten about 2 weeks out of my batches on my 5 gallon. Just started up the 10 gallon, but expect a week or so. I don't have a way to accurately measure output, but the bubble counter is about 1.5 bubbles a second, and the drop checker is showing a nice green.

I get my citric acid from WalMart. Each batch I make takes just about 7 oz of Citric Acid powder (200g). It's in the canning aisle, and costs around $3 for 7.5 oz of powder. It's a little more pricey than the link above, but no shipping costs. I have also seen it on ebay, and there a couple of sellers that offer free shipping. I may go that route next, but it's pretty convenient for me to just pick up a few jars when I am shopping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't used a fully DIY system, so I can't compare. I did list what I was getting in the post prior to yours, though.

Also, you can use vinegar instead of powdered citric acid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi is the output fairly consistent or fluctuates? Also, do you leave it running 24/7? Looking into getting one so any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I've gotten about 2 weeks out of my batches on my 5 gallon. Just started up the 10 gallon, but expect a week or so.
Which kit did you get?

EvilFish has the 1 in there is a built in safety valve in the gauge. He had to disable the valve for it leaked. Have you had this problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts