The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Here is the DIY Co2 diffusion setup on my 10 gallon tank.
The mixture is two cups brown sugar, 1 tsp yeast, and 1 tsp baking soda.
It's been set up for an hour, the only difference being some bubbling in the soda bottle yeast container.
I know that time varies, but how long would you say one should wait before suspecting problems?
Thanks!

Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Gas Plumbing fixture

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Well, since you noted that you've got bubbling in your bottle, that's a sign that you didn't use too hot of water and killed the yeast haha. What you can do is squeeze on the bottle a little and see if bubbles start coming out of the diffuser. This is when you can check for air leaks as well (you'd hear a whistling sound). Mine usually starts going noticeable after about 3-4 hours.

· Registered
871 Posts
Also, you might try a more efficient diffusion technique. You may be able to get much more out of the CO2 that you are producing.

That filter behind the diffuser -- would it be possible to bubble the CO2 into the intake? This may give you 100% diffusion, depending on the type of filter and the flow of water through it.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is when you can check for air leaks as well (you'd hear a whistling sound).
I originally pulled the airline through the cap, thinking it was airtight.
It wasn't, since I heard the whistle.
I re-did it with the addition of hot glue and duct tape. It seems pretty secure now!

That filter behind the diffuser -- would it be possible to bubble the CO2 into the intake?
I don't really know, I've never done this before. It's a whisper 10x filter.

You might want to move that diffuser a bit lower so the tiny bubbles start coming out they have more surface area to come in contact with on the way up.
Will do, good suggestion!

· Registered
35 Posts
As far as the hot glue goes, I've been tinkering with my first diy co2 for the past couple of days tryig to use hot glue to seal up any leaks to no avail. It doesn't seem to want to adhere too tightly to the airline tubing. Any bit of movement on the tubing has caused the dried glue to pull away from the tubing. It's been very frustrating. I had to resort to superglue, but I don't know if that has worked yet, as it was still drying when I left for work. Hopefully, my experience is just a fluke though.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same problem, which was why I added the duct tape. It seems to seal pretty well.
If it doesn't hold, I may try a silicone sealant instead or a super glue if that works for you, h0meless!

The mixture sat for over 4 hours and became stagnant, so I decided to re-do it.
Instead of 2 cups of brown sugar, I did 1 cup brown and 1 cup white. I also skipped the baking soda.
I'll see how that works and will update later with the result.

· Registered
327 Posts
If you already hot glued it then just add some 5 min epoxy around that... If you start over....just use 5 min. epoxy (two part stuff)
This has been the ticket for sealing DIY C02 for me. It has to seal tight or it won't work for you.. Mine also uses a nano diffuser and it works great.

· Registered
223 Posts
Just make the holes in the caps smaller than the hose and it will be air tight. I am running 2 2L on my 10g and have no glue at all.
It can take as long as 12 hr for co2 to be at full production. It depends a lot on temp of room and water in mix..

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...It's been a day and still nothing. The mixture became dormant like before.

Is there a successful mixture that someone can recommend? I've been using Fleishmann's ActiveDry yeast, not instant rise.

· Registered
883 Posts
im waiting for someone to tell him that u can not use a ceramic diffuser on a yeast DIY setup without running into problems..

:\

OP.... since no one told you... i'll say it again..

YOU CAN NOT USE A CERAMIC DIFFUSER WITH A DIY YEAST SETUP WITHOUT SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR A BIG ACCIDENT.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The person who sold me the diffuser said that it is compatible for both pressurized Co2 tanks & DIY yeast bottles.
Assuming that this is true, I think the only problem left is the mixture.
I may try the plain white sugar next, or try a different recipe altogether.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
im waiting for someone to tell him that u can not use a ceramic diffuser on a yeast DIY setup without running into problems..

:\

OP.... since no one told you... i'll say it again..

YOU CAN NOT USE A CERAMIC DIFFUSER WITH A DIY YEAST SETUP WITHOUT SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR A BIG ACCIDENT.
Really??

Guess noone told me this as I run glass nano diffusers on all my bottles. ;)

· Registered
413 Posts
I use one of those filters you have in there as a diffuser, its very easy to do. if you turn that filter upside down you will see the bottom cap, remove it and you will see the intake for the propeller thing. make a hole in the bottom cap, put the hose through it then into the intake. close the bottom up again and leave it alone. you will get 100% diffusion. if you don't understand this i can post pictures if you would like.

· Registered
222 Posts
A nano diffuser is the best way to do DIY.

Pressure inhibits yeast activity. This will make it so your fermentation and gas creation is nice and steady, rather than peaking and dropping off. BBA thrives in environments with swinging CO2 levels.

You just may need to add more than one bottle to get enough force to push the gas through the diffuser. Make sure everything is airtight, use check valves, and put a couple of drops of cooking oil in the bottle to keep it from foaming up.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you don't understand this i can post pictures if you would like.
That would be great, Mike! I'm interested in seeing how that's done.

ElBotonero:
Come to think of it, I saw the yeast foam in my last setup. I will try the cooking oil, as you suggest.
I remember reading somewhere that yeast will start producing co2 when the oxygen in the bottle is used up.
I assume the oil blocks the yeast's access to the oxygen.

· Registered
413 Posts
That would be great, Mike! I'm interested in seeing how that's done.
Sorry it took me a bit to finish this. I did not see your message till hours after you posted it but here it is. This is my DIY CO2 diffuser I made out of an extra filter i had laying around. http://imgur.com/a/jqdkL

Please note that you do not have to kill the filter as much as I did. I cut it to make it shorter but if you want it to still function as a filter you can just stick the hose in the bottom and it will still work fine. My way just gets slightly better diffusion rate.

Edit: I used a lot of hot glue, if you do the same make sure its non toxic. I use a black cotton string to hold up the pantihose even though it is glued to the top. I want it to stay tight along the water intake in order to not restrict water flow.

· Registered
413 Posts
I modified the tetra whisper 2-10 gallon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.