The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY CO2 with C02 Cartridges???

4847 28
Hello All,

I am a new member, but have been paying close attention to everyone's post about Co2 systems and DIY projects. I tried the sugar and yeast systems, but I am wondering if anyone has ever used CO2 cartridges for the planted aquarium. I used to play paintball and I know they have C02 tanks available and I am wondering if anyone knows how to implement this. Would it work? Will it be enough for what the plants need?

Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Here is what I found. I have a 2.5 gallon planted and was thinking about rigging up co2 for it. After calculating the cost of a small co2 setup, I decided it was stupid. Think about it. The cost to refill a 9 oz co2 tank at a sports store is like $5, right? I bought a 20lb co2 tank on ebay for about $75 and it costed me less than $15 to get it filled! Bigger co2 tanks have to get hydrotested every 5 years, unlike small paintball co2 tanks. However, even paying $20 every 5 years is still cheaper to just buy a bigger setup. The only reason I would personally pay all the extra money for a small co2 setup is so you can hide it out of sight. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
thanks andrew...this was exactly what i am looking for..but the price is very high....i was hoping for a DIY or something around $50.
Your not going to be able to setup a pressurized setup for $50 unless you buy everything used for dirt cheap, and maybe get some free stuff too...

Many have said in the past that the only reason to use a piantball setup is for size limitations on a nano tank or something like that. If you have room enough to put in at least a 5# tank, usually thats the way to go.

·
Registered
664 Posts
This regulator may be of interest for those wanting to DIY a pressure system..

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...Product_Code=RIO-10174&Category_Code=co2units
I'm not certain that's actually a regulator. Notice that nowhere do they claim it's a regulator. It might just be a valve, which would make it dangerous. They don't even specify what the threading is, although it implies it has paintball threads rather than CGA320 or whatever. AquaBotanic is/was selling something like this and made a halfhearted attempt at a recall. I would steer clear of this product.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm not certain that's actually a regulator. Notice that nowhere do they claim it's a regulator. It might just be a valve, which would make it dangerous. They don't even specify what the threading is, although it implies it has paintball threads rather than CGA320 or whatever. AquaBotanic is/was selling something like this and made a halfhearted attempt at a recall. I would steer clear of this product.
Aquabotanic still sells it and it is a regulator for a paintball rig:

http://www.aquabotanicstore.com/CO2_Shooter_paintball_regulator_p/10174.htm

I have been considering this one for a nano setup, but I wanted to see about trying to rig it with a solenoid and decent needle valve.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Aquabotanic still sells it and it is a regulator for a paintball rig:

http://www.aquabotanicstore.com/CO2_Shooter_paintball_regulator_p/10174.htm

I have been considering this one for a nano setup, but I wanted to see about trying to rig it with a solenoid and decent needle valve.
The aquabotanic unit is not a regulator. I repeat, it is not a regulator, it's just a valve. If you were to connect a needle valve to it you would have 900 PSI between the bottle and the valve. This is dangerous. People on APC have tried the aquabotanic unit with a needle valve and have exploded airline tubing.

Seriously, cough up the cash for a proper regulator. Compressed gas is dangerous.

·
Registered
664 Posts
What about doing something with a cartridge like http://www.divers-supply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TRI30205&click=10168

I assume the principle is the same, but how long would something like that actually last (very short to be sure)
Not very long. A 16 gram cartridge would last about 35 times less long as a 20 ounce tank and 140 times less long than a 5 pound tank.

Using a smaller cartridge doesn't make things any easier, you know, it just makes things smaller. Compressed CO2 has the same pressure no matter how much of it you're dealing with, so you'll need a regulator regardless.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The aquabotanic unit is not a regulator. I repeat, it is not a regulator, it's just a valve. If you were to connect a needle valve to it you would have 900 PSI between the bottle and the valve. This is dangerous. People on APC have tried the aquabotanic unit with a needle valve and have exploded airline tubing.
Not to correct, but to put into perspective
Actually from some of the pics, they blew out CO2 tubing rated for 300 psi.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.