The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY CO2 smell

6000 9
Hi all, I a 38 gallon planted tank with DIy CO2 running. I am using a 1 gallon plastic jug, which is plumbed through a check valve to a Red Sea power head venturi setup. In this generator I am using 5 cups of dechlorinated water, 5 cups of sugar, and 1 tsp of yeast. It seem to work really well except for one issue-it stinks to high heaven.

Have any of you had this issue, and is there anyway to eliminate the odor? I am investigating better bottles, and I am in the process of getting some 1 gallon flourinated bottles. These are much more chemically resistant, as I think some of the odor is coming through the plastic. Secondly, I am sure some of this smell is coming through the powerheads input into the tank via the bubbles.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
What kind of odor? Is this a yeasty beer and bread smell that might bother you but might smell ok to some people? Or is this a stench-of-death kind of smell that nobody could possibly like? If it's the former, it's normal, and there's nothing you can do about it. If it's the later, then you have bacterial contamination.

BTW, 5 cups water and 5 cups sugar is way too sweet. You need more water. Typo?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know what you're talking about. It's a really bad strange smell and I usually get a headache after smelling it, kind of like a farting smell. After all, it is the byproduct of the yeast.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
don't use a plastic jug which is not made for liquid under pressure.
best to use a dark green plastic 2L or 3L 7up or ginger-ale bottle.
you don't need more than 1 cup of sugar per quart or liter of water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see the errors of my ways. I thought it might be a bit on the sweet side, so to speak.

It is a horrible, the kind of stench you can taste. I am not sure how I got a bacterial contamination, but it is certainly possible. I could deal with a little yeast smell, as could my wife, but this was bad. I have changed it out, and would open up the house, but it is 2 degrees out.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I liked the smell when I used DIY Co2. It was just a yeasty bread or beer smell. Is there a leak, b/c I never could smell it much unless I opened the container?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I see the errors of my ways. I thought it might be a bit on the sweet side, so to speak.

It is a horrible, the kind of stench you can taste. I am not sure how I got a bacterial contamination, but it is certainly possible. I could deal with a little yeast smell, as could my wife, but this was bad. I have changed it out, and would open up the house, but it is 2 degrees out.
Keep things as clean as you can, but don't be surprised that you got bacteria. They're all over the place.

This happened to me once, and it kept happening, because no matter how well I'd wash the container (truthfully, not that well) the bacteria kept coming back. I eventually decided upon chemical warfare. I didn't have any antibiotics in the house, so I used a random bit of knowledge I picked up scanning journal article abstracts: aspirin kills certain kinds of bacteria, but it doesn't kill yeast. Not knowing what kind of bacteria caused the stench I was experiencing, I gave it a shot. It seemed to work. I never got bacterial growth while I was adding aspirin to my brew. I was using something like four to six 325 mg tablets.

That's not the "right" solution to the problem, but it worked for me. YMMV

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Isn't yeast + sugar water in anaerobic condtions a simple process of fermentation, with CO2 and alcohol as a byproduct?

I think that smell is alcohol, which will make you a little dizzy if inhaled deeply.
It's like we're brewing really bad tasting/smelling beer.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
Isn't yeast + sugar water in anaerobic condtions a simple process of fermentation, with CO2 and alcohol as a byproduct?

I think that smell is alcohol, which will make you a little dizzy if inhaled deeply.
It's like we're brewing really bad tasting/smelling beer.
You are correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.