The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed a DIY co2 setup for my 60p yesterday and this morning i awoke to find one of my crs on the ground. Im not sure if the introduction of c02 made him jump or because my water level is almost touching the rim of the tank. I tested my water with one of those 5 in 1 test strips and my

Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
GH 75
KH 80
Ph 6.5

I noticed the ph dropped from 7.2 which was tested before i introduced the co2. the rest of the tests were about the same only the ph changed

I have the co2 going into my suction tube of my eheim filter at about 1 bubble per sec and letting the filter impeller mix the co2 with the water. cause when i just left the co2 and airstone in the tank the bubbles would just go directly to the surface.

majority of my shrimps are hiding again and only a hand full of them are out and about feeding.

So i figured to bypass the timer on my light and start up photosynthisis early and leave the light on longer to consume the co2

any thoughts?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, shrimp do like to explore. Your wouldn't be the first one to crawl out and die.

But it's hard to imagine that the CO2 didn't play a part, especially considering the way your other CRS are acting. Do you have any snails in the tank? Are they hanging out above the waterline? Snails are usually the first to bail out when something's funny with the water.

The lower pH won't present a problem in and of itself, but it may have changed too quickly for their liking.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, shrimp do like to explore. Your wouldn't be the first one to crawl out and die.

But it's hard to imagine that the CO2 didn't play a part, especially considering the way your other CRS are acting. Do you have any snails in the tank? Are they hanging out above the waterline? Snails are usually the first to bail out when something's funny with the water.

The lower pH won't present a problem in and of itself, but it may have changed too quickly for their liking.
I do notice some snails hanging around at the top of the tank. but then again there are snails all over the place.. The MTS seem to stay at the bottom the the other ones are the ones that go up the tank. mainly all baby snails. only the adults seem to stay mid level or on the bottom.

would you suggest me doing a water change?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hmmm, probably not a good idea. Like I said, the pH isn't a problem, it's rapid changes in pH that cause trouble. And doing a big water change now would just make your pH spring back up to where it was before. Just slow down your CO2 if your pH keeps dropping.

Otherwise, I'd leave everything as it is and just keep an eye on things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.