The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just completed this DIY CO2 reactor and hooked it up to the outlet of the Eheim 2028. However I believe that CO2 doesn't dissolve 100% in the process because I see few bubbles come out the outlet hose few times a minute.

the PVC pipe is only 1" and total length of the reactor is about 20". I leave the pipe empty.

here is the picture:

what can I do to make it 100% work?

thanks!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
How long has it been set up? If it's less than 48 hours could still be air trapped in the reactor.

Beyond that 1" pipe is not the size I would have gone with. You are moving a lot of water though a very small diameter pipe.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, but it's hard to find fittings available for 1-1/2" or 2" pipes. I acutally went to both lowes and homepots to have this done. I did burped the reactor. Will increase length of the pipe fix the problem? Rex, I remeber in one of your post you said reactors can be made out of any size pipe?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got an idea, how does this sound:

it's officially called alan's CO2 reactor from now:biggrin: I'll give it a try tomorrow.

comments please.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Are you saying....increase the diameter of the lower section to 1.5/2"? Or just adding the bioballs to the existing diameter?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
If you are increasing the diameter of the lower portion of your reactor, I doubt you will need the BioBalls.
The wider diameter will slow the flow (think of a river), and should stop the CO2 from just being swept out of the reactor.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I just got an idea, how does this sound:

it's officially called alan's CO2 reactor from now:biggrin: I'll give it a try tomorrow.

comments please.
That design is Gomer's reactor, it can be found as a sticky with part list in APC's DIY forum, and I am using a version of it with my DIY CO2.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here is the modified version:

the total length of this reactor is about 25" inches. I leave the pipe empty. I haven't put it into test yet. Do you guys think that this is too long that lots of GPH will be lost thus reduce the efficiency of the canister?

I'll try to make another version of it that features removable bottom 2" pipe so you can put bio-ball in.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think the length is fine but don't think bio balls are going to help ,some experienced otherwise ,I never used them in my diy reactors.
If you make another version with 2" pipe ,it could even be more efficient.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put it into work yesterday and waited for 24hrs, now there is no more bubbles coming out of spray bar. CO2 is 100% dissolved.:icon_smil

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I think the length is fine but don't think bio balls are going to help ,some experienced otherwise ,I never used them in my diy reactors.
If you make another version with 2" pipe ,it could even be more efficient.
I don't think the Bioballs are going to help out either where they are either. If the CO2 had to travel up through the Bioballs it would increase contact time and help, right now they are just slowing the flow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe add 2 - 5 bio-balls in my ~20" tall 2" wide pipe won't hurt. I already made a version of the above features removeable bottom so you can add bio-ball if you like and for easy cleaning too.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I've most likely built more reactors than anyone on this board. Used bio-balls in the first two and removed them within 6 months.

As long as you have the length and diameter in the correct range for the flow rate of the water you will have no problems.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Ultimate CO2 Reactor

the is the newest version made with clear PVC pipe. Well you can say what do you need to see through the reactor for, but that's what I like and I believe some people like it too.

I'll put it into test soon with/without Bio-ball. I'll try to find out the CO2 dissolving capacity also. If people are interested I'll make them for sale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts