The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a DIY - I actually found the Nutrafin C02 refill packets for .70 a for a package of 3...so figued what the heck.

2 Liter Pop Bottle
Airline tubing
Check Valve
"Discard-A-Stone" Diffuser (http://www.petco.com/product/6126/Le...Airstones.aspx)

Drilled the cap of the 2 Liter, put airline in and sealed with Superglue. Cup line and put checkvalue about 6 inches from the cap.

1.) What mix do I use with the Nutrafin Refill packets? I believe 1 Cup of Water and 1 Cup of Sugar...does that sound right?

2.) Any issues keeping the 2 Liter in my cabinet underneath the tank?

3.) Is that "diffusor" acceptable? Where is the ideal placement in the tank (I have the 30G biocube) with a return pump on the left and intake on the right through a 3 stage mechanical filtration system.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am setting up a DIY - I actually found the Nutrafin C02 refill packets for .70 a for a package of 3...so figued what the heck.

2 Liter Pop Bottle
Airline tubing
Check Valve
"Discard-A-Stone" Diffuser (http://www.petco.com/product/6126/Le...Airstones.aspx)

Drilled the cap of the 2 Liter, put airline in and sealed with Superglue. Cup line and put checkvalue about 6 inches from the cap.

1.) What mix do I use with the Nutrafin Refill packets? I believe 1 Cup of Water and 1 Cup of Sugar...does that sound right?

2.) Any issues keeping the 2 Liter in my cabinet underneath the tank?

3.) Is that "diffusor" acceptable? Where is the ideal placement in the tank (I have the 30G biocube) with a return pump on the left and intake on the right through a 3 stage mechanical filtration system.
Well your bottle will have no problems in your cabinet. And I got lee's wood block diffuser they are super cheap. And last for around a month. As long as it will provide superfine bubbles you will be fine. I have never used those before so I don't know their performance.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615643,-88.302828

·
Registered
225 Posts
And I just use yeast. Easy to mix and adjustable for if you want a strong start with a weak ending. Or a steady production all the way through.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I just use yeast. Easy to mix and adjustable for if you want a strong start with a weak ending. Or a steady production all the way through.

Yah - I am beginning to think even at .70 I should have passed on these refill tablets. I cannot believe that retail value of these things are $9.99 - absolutely ridiculous and completely taking advantage of people; however, I guess people that dont educate themselves pay for it, so it's there fault.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SO...I didnt think this was possible to mess up, or maybe I just didnt think it would take so long, but 24 hours into it the bottle is doing nothing...LOL - just sits there 3/4 full and does nothing.

1 Cup Sugar
3 packets of Yeast/Stabilizer (Nutrafin CO2 Refill packets)
Warm water filled 3/4 of 2L Bottle.

Checked seals an ensured air tight, and cap is on tight.

Any ideas or is this normal?

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
SO...I didnt think this was possible to mess up, or maybe I just didnt think it would take so long, but 24 hours into it the bottle is doing nothing...LOL - just sits there 3/4 full and does nothing.

1 Cup Sugar
3 packets of Yeast/Stabilizer (Nutrafin CO2 Refill packets)
Warm water filled 3/4 of 2L Bottle.

Checked seals an ensured air tight, and cap is on tight.

Any ideas or is this normal?
You should get fermentation in no longer than 15 minutes. I havent used Nutrafin refill packs but I think its a lot. I used 1/4 tsp yeast in 1L warm water and 1 cup sugar. It usually generates CO2 in less than 10 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Sometimes it can take 18+ hours for CO2 to really reach suitable pressures with DIY. Temperature of the bottle, room temp, et al all come into play with the mix. Sometimes it's hit or miss.

As far as diffusers go... if you want something that'll really give you the best bang for your buck, pick up a glass diffuser on eBay. Usually $3-$4 shipped. Even if they're coming from Hong Kong, you'll get them within a couple weeks. (Yes, they work with DIY)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.