The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow everyone! I would like some inputs. I have had a planted aquarium with DIY CO2 for 3 years. The CO2 lines from the bottles are connected to a check vale and dissolved using a Magnum 350. This is works great for the plants but not for some of my larger fish. I notice that in the mornings my fish are gasping for air at the top. An air stone was added and set to come on at night and certain intervals during the day to keep the fish happy. Is there a better method to keep both the plants and fish happy?

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's generally the best way with DIY. Other people have played with putting the bottles in a tub of water with the idea that the temp of the water will drop below temps that the yeast will be active at, but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
besides the airstones the only better idea i can think of is getting a big bubble wand or a even bigger air stone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you mhhauser321,

I have one of those not being used right now. I'll give that a try as it will spread the O2 out more evenly. Unless you were talking about the bubble wand that we use to play with when we were kids, the ones where you dip into a soapy solution and blow bubbles out of. :)

What would be the best interval setting for both fish and plants?

Thanks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
:icon_neut Use a powerhead with attached reactor to diffuse it. When the lights come on so does the powerhead and the co2 diffuses and at night the co2 simply bubbles out up and out of a hole drilled in the DIY reactor and thus places a smaller amount into the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.