The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like an odd question....but is there a recipe out there for DIY co2 that will allow me to have slow, long production of co2? I'm talking like 1 bubble every 1-3 secs....I have plans to use a 2 litre bottle method....reason I am leary is because the tank is a shrimp only tank

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Then you might want to look into Excel for your carbon source. There is slow release yeast but I honestly dont think you could dial it back any.
If it is really a concern look into the paintball system, you can dial that back.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
yeah that is my next option really! how many painball co2 setups you think would be needed on a 75 gal tank? 2?

OH....ummm Nevermind. You really REALLY dont want to go that route with a 75, nor DIY. U need to go pressurized, at least with pressurized you can TONE in down. I guess I dont understand why you're so worried about the shrimp? None of mine ever had issues with 30ppm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can run DIY on a tank that size but it can be a pain. I run three 2 liter bottles in sequence for my 135 gal and my drop checker stays yellowish green for about 3 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
16,950 Posts
It's not that much of a pain. If you use champagne yeast, you'll likely get a month or more out of each bottle.

My trick, when I first started out, was to have spare bottles that I just swapped with spent bottles. Quick and painless.

Pressurized is obviously the way to go but using DIY for a few months won't be too difficult.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You could put a control valve on the line. I've seen this done, but not sure if there's any risk of too much pressure. I doubt it as you're just dialing it back and people seem to use them.

Like other said though, I think in a tank this size your problem isn't going to be too much, but rather too little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.