The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a high light tank but no co2 currently. I am getting some water lettuce this afternoon. Once the plants I have are shaded by the water lettuce I was wondering if diy co2 would help despite the inconsistencies. The idea is to get my plants all through until I can get everything I need for pressurized co2. I would think once the whole tank is shaded that my non-floating plants would be in low light essentially. Would diy co2 cause more harm than good under those conditions assuming macros and micros are taken care of? My goal is to have pressurized co2 by December but it might take until January with Christmas coming up. I would have to use diy co2 for another 3 to 4 months. Please let know your experiences if you have ever done this or if you have run diy co2 in low light conditions. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
Could you tell us more about your tank?

Dimensions & volume
Light fixture
All the plants you're growing

Maybe a photo of the tank?

That'd help others chime in with more specific, helpful suggestions.

I've run DIY CO2 brewer's yeast setups off and on for a couple decades. They work well for smaller tanks with medium & higher lighting. But CO2 can also be great in lower light tanks. So having more information about your tank will be helpful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 45 gallon tall tank. It is currently unheated but the water temperature stays between 72 and 74. I have 2 viparspectra 300w (120 real watt) full spectrum lights about 26 inches off the substrate. I have snails of several species in this tank currently as well as 16 guppies. Six are two weeks old and two are probably 3 months old now. I have a coarse sand substrate. This tank is sparsely planted compared to what it will be eventually. I have ludwigia repens "Rubin", an Amazon sword, as well as a few plants I got cuttings from such as what I think are cattails or bullrush, and some other plants I need to identify. I just got water lettuce and water hyacinth a few hours ago from someone who gave them to me from a koi pond. They are big enough to block some of the lighting.

Here is a pic I just took.
Water Pet supply Fluid Organism Pink

1 - 3 of 3 Posts